An IT StartUp: How do I find clients?

Hi,

I am planning for an IT Startup. I am from a computer science background and have experience working in fortune500 IT companies.

After proper analysis of my position, i am confident that i have all the necessary resources(both men and material).

But i am stuck at one thing. "How do i find clients?"

Can someone throw light on a path that i can tread on? Where and how to look for clients?

Thanks in Advance.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's always great to have budding and aspiring entrepreneurs on CE. Congratulations on deciding to become an entrepreneur.

The question is 'How do I find clients for my IT startup?'

In order to answer that, we need to have an overall idea of what your startup is about. Mainly - are you developing a products based startup or a services based startup? If it's a products based; it would help if you could share a few things about the kind of products you're going to develop OR the industry you are targeting to sell your products.

If it's a services based venture - you need to tell us what are the services you are planning to offer and what differentiating factors you have.

Look forward to your responses 😀
  • psriram
    psriram
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I prefer service based. I am trying to explore all the options available to me with the resources i have. So i was trying to find if there is a way to search for client requirements and see if they can be supported with my available resources.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    psriram
    I prefer service based. I am trying to explore all the options available to me with the resources i have. So i was trying to find if there is a way to search for client requirements and see if they can be supported with my available resources.
    You will have to first figure out what kind of services you are capable of offering. It could be app development, web development, custom software packages etc. I know a lot of entrepreneurs who're into services based business. The best way to start finding clients is to list your company / firm on freelancing websites like Odesk, RentAcoder, Freelancer, eLance and others.

You can also apply for certifications on those websites so that your profile looks attractive to the people who're offering jobs. You'll have to do a survey of the rates to quote; because most of the people prefer paying on per hour basis. Depending upon your rating and overall customer feedback (over a period of time), you can get good response. I'll tag #-Link-Snipped-# , who is a professional with lot of information about this field. If you have any questions, post them here and I'm sure Goyal would be happy to help.

Secondly, there's a *lot* of opportunity in the local markets. One of my friends started by figuring out what the 'traders' needed and then he went on to build a custom software package for them. He simplified their accounting needs to a great extent and he makes big bucks - because his clients love him! Do explore that avenue as well.

From my experience - it would even help if you could build custom software packages / add-ons for popular programs. It's easy to setup an online shop and sell stuff.

I'd also like you to explore the Apps market. If you can make Android, iOS, Windows Apps; listing them on respective stores is easier. You can make some good money through those apps. All you'll need is great ideas for apps though.

If you have questions, post them here and keep us updated about your progress. 👍
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Hi psiram

Welcome to CE, In above post it is already well explained how you can get clients from various freelancing portals or by getting local opportunities through proper marketing

You have to make your profile page a more attractive by putting your portfolio, your skills and most important your resources that you will really be able to fulfill their needs,

2nd clients prefer those with good feedback I can understand at initial level you might not have any testimonials to show them but you have to convince them by offering him your best

But from my experience I would rather suggest you to look for local opportunities instead of going with these portals
    No doubt you can earn thousand's of $ with these, but if you really wanna give yourself a good stand in market then as biggie suggest try to understand needs of market, then find a solution for them it will make a horse of long race 😀
  • psriram
    psriram
    Thanks to both of you BigK and Goyal. Really nice piece of information. As i read your suggestions, i feel more motivated 😀.

I will look for opportunities in the local market and see how it goes. Will keep you guys posted on my advances 😀
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    You can take part in the IT Fair. You can find lot of companies there give them your details.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello.!!!i am a graduating student now in computer engineering and having trouble deciding on what project should i propose to make.,,,can you give me an idea.,,plzzzzzzzzzzzzz😭 tnx much😀
hello firends i am here for learn more..
I wanna make a solar powered car. I've heard that its cost is just 15000 Rs in market. Can some engineers here help me build one of my own? I...
Hi, I am wondering about my carrier. I have done B.tech with Computer Science in 2011. at that time i didn't get a job in my field due to academic...
WiBit.net provides you basic to core knowledge of C, C++, Obj-C & Java. This application is not free. But I have found it very useful when you want to clear...