Ambigiuous Question

Hi all,

Recently I came across this question.
33/11=3 is true in which base?
a)10 b)2 c)both d)none

The answer given to this was both which is satisfactory when we use the equation which relates the number with place values and coefficients. But then can base 2 have '3' as its symbol? and even if it has, would the arithmatic be the same and valid as in base 2. First of all can 3 be a part of binary system as a symbol.

What are your views on this?

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    (C) is the correct answer.

Explanation:
    33 in binary code is 100001
    11 in binary code is 1011
    Let's perform the division of 100001 by 1011

Binary Division:
    ..........________
    1011 ) 100001 ( 11
    ...........______
    ...........______

Here we get quotient as 11 which is 3 in decimal and 0000 as the remainder.
    So 33 / 11 = 3 both in decimal and binary.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    simplycoder
    But then can base 2 have '3' as its symbol? and even if it has, would the arithmatic be the same and valid as in base 2. First of all can 3 be a part of binary system as a symbol.

What are your views on this?
    I don't think 3 can be part of binary system, it can be represented in binary code.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    33/11 is 3 in any number system, if we convert them to that system first.

33 in base 5 is 113, and
    11 in base 5 is 21

115/21 in base 5 will be

_____​
    21) 113 ( 3
    113​
    _____​
    0​

So, regardless of what base we use, it will always hold true. But the question does not ask that, I think. If anything, it might be a mistake and the choice should have been some other number instead of 2.. like 6 or 7, for example. In that case, we should convert both 33 and 11 to the appropriate base and see if it is indeed correct.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi all, i got 41 marks with a gate score of 460. my AIR is 5649. i am from ST- category. can i get a call from BHEL/IOCL?
Micromax - the company that redefined the dual SIM phone market in India by offering phones at affordable price range has unveiled a new logo. The new logo aims to...
Can i get the Nymble project's detailed report. I need to know the applications of this project and also the future enhancements. kindly let me know.
The Ultrabook™ Temptations are a series of social experiments that explore just what people are prepared to do to get their hands on an Ultrabook™. Check them all out ->...
what is alignment circle in air-conditioning? why this alignment circle is important in air-conditioning? what is the need of the alignment circle in air-conditioning