Aircraft With Wings That Change Shape During Flight Can Reduce Fuel Consumption

A team of engineering researchers at Fraunhofer Institute for Manufacturing Technology and Advanced Materials has come up with a project called EU SARISTU (short for Smart Intelligent Aircraft Structures) that aims at reducing the airline's fuel consumption amount. With ever-growing traffic of the aircrafts in the skies, the airplane manufacturers have been facing the issue of high kerosene consumption that ultimarely poses a risk to the environment. With SARISTU project, the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft researchers researchers have been able to reduce this rate by 6% by integrating flexible landing devices into aircraft wings. The innovative concept of deformable aircraft wings was showcased at the ILA Berlin Air Show 2014.

Till date, unlike birds' feathers, the aircraft wing components have always been rigid. These researchers have developed a mechanism that alters the landing flap’s shape to dynamically accommodate the airflow. They believe that if landing flaps are able to adjust to the air flow, they will significantly enhance the aerodynamics of the aircraft. To control the shape modifications in flight, the system needed strong algorithms, which were programmed by ENAS along with the colleagues from the Italian Aerospace Research Center (CIRA) and the University of Naples. They made use of a silicon skin with alternate rigid and soft zones (5 hard and 3 soft zones to be precise). It is important to note here that these flexible parts are made of elastomeric foam that retain their elasticity even at temperatures ranging from -55 to 80 degrees Celsius.
shape-changing-aircraft-wings-fraunhofer
Simulation of Flex Module ​

The researchers are aware of the fact that this single improvement can't reduce the fuel consumption by 6% and therefore are working on a sub-project that focuses on the wingtip. For that, they've developed a tab that forms part of the wing tip. It can change shape during flight while keeping air resistance as low as possible. Any gap between the flap and the fixed aircraft wing would cancel out any positive effect. As a solution to that, they came up with an elastic connecting element that encompasses - chemical makeup, process technology as well as the manufacturing.

What are your thoughts on the shape-changing wings in the aircrafts of the future? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Aircraft wings that change their shape in flight can help to protect the environment

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Great idea for limiting usage of aircraft fuel
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Can we apply same to the automobile (especially high speed monsters ?)
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Can we apply same to the automobile (especially high speed monsters ?)
    Are you planning for a real deal breaker for Batman and his sidekick detective? 😛 I best #-Link-Snipped-# would like to see a bat-mobile that can change shape 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

please tell me abt instrumentation jobs....newly opening.my resume and pic iz attached here. thanking you
Lava Mobiles has did it again for Indian consumers. They have launched a new smartphone in the mid-budget segment called "Lava IRIS X1" that features all the basic features and...
I am using Midori Web browser, I have tested all other heavy websites from Flipkart, ZDnet, Phoronix, etc. Each & every website is appearing properly, except my favourite one, CrazyEngineers....
When some one ask me about smartphone display,my mind stuck behind basics .I do not understand why the two giant use different display technology ,iPhone featured with IPS display and...
Kevin Costner's water world may well be round the corner. The vast ice sheet of Antarctica is melting. The mean sea level may increase by 4 meters fairly soon, drowning...