Activate voice calling feature in Whatsapp - Steps

Whatsapp has enabled voice calling feature in the latest version of whatsapp viz. 2.11.508. Following are the tried and tested mechanism of enabling voice calling feature in your whatsapp; and they aren't straightforward. Why? Because the feature isn't enabled by default and you will need someone who's enabled the feature on their phone to call you in order to have this activated. But let's first cover the 'geeky' part of the whole process.

1. Download the Terminal Emulator for Android - Apps on Google Play for Android.
2. Ensure that you have the latest version of Whatsapp: #-Link-Snipped-#
3. Load terminal emulator and type the following command in the console:-

su
am start -n com.whatsapp/com.whatsapp.HomeActivity
This unlocks the voice calling feature in whatsapp. But the magic doesn't start unless someone who's already enabled the feature on their phone gives you a call. No you and your friend can't mutually enable this feature on your phones by enabling and then calling. Think of it as an 'invite' model wherein someone who's received a call on whatsapp and enabled the voice calling feature needs to call you to get this feature activated. Trust me, this is the worst part of the entire process. It's like having a cake in your hand but you can't eat it!

I will not encourage anyone to share their phone numbers publicly - because it will only attract spammy messages to your phone. I'd strongly recommend that you should wait until this feature is made available by default to every user - and I guarantee that it won't be too long before it's done.

PS: If you perform above steps, you will see calling feature but it won't list any entries in the 'contacts' section. This is because the feature is invite only and you need to have someone who's enabled this feature on their phone to call you. I hope you got the point.

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Nice hack 👍
    Q: Is Rooting required?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anoop Kumar
    Nice hack 👍
    Q: Is Rooting required?
    It's obvious, pal.
    The command itself asks for superuser permission.
  • selvantam
    selvantam
    Yes I got the point . and one more question is the developing in process.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    selvantam
    Yes I got the point . and one more question is the developing in process.
    Developing of what? Could you explain your question?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Abhishek Rawal
    It's obvious, pal.
    The command itself asks for superuser permission.
    That was little heads up. So regular people wouldn't get confused 😘.

Any review about call quality! So far Skype gives best quality.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And we have no root method!
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sujit962
    sujit962
    Guys any 1 want call thn msg me in whatsapp
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    While WhatsApp voice calls will most likely be a popular and cheap alternative to traditional mobile calls for many people, not everyone will jump on the bandwagon.

I for one have my reservations about the quality of WhatsApp voice calls or for that matter any voice calling apps. Isn't the dedicated capacity on an operator’s circuit-switched network enough assurance of good-quality calls in most scenarios?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I am using Whats app calling since last 2-3 days, but feels like voice is too low.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Skin cancer has been affecting thousands of people every year and more than 90% of cases are caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun. To keep your sun...
(Sent by friend Purushottama) Quote: In an era of email, text messages, Facebook and Twitter, we’re all required to do several things at once. But this constant multitasking is taking...
This does not need any explanation: https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Buildings-on-grid-paper/
Project Abstract / Summary : This project will help farmers of Uganda to easily detect the content of moisture in their food produce It will be a simple machine connected...
DIY engineers - take a serious note: The Raspberry folks have announced much awaited Raspberry Pi 2 Model B for just $35 (price same as the model B+). This announcement...