Absolute Optical Encoder

Hello everyone,

I am very confused with this kind of encoder after reading the book of Kilian "Modern Control Technology." Perhaps the best way for me to understand this is, if I could put it this way. Suppose data follow: Sector3 (011); Sector4 (001); Sector5 (011); Sector6 (110).

Now, am I right if I say the out-of-alignment photocell is at Sector5 to Sector6?

Thank you for help.

John

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    priority encoding comes into play here otherwise sub dividing the sectors into finer divisions is the only probable answer
  • John Bradford
    John Bradford
    Thank you for the reply. In this case, I am not quite sure if I understand what you mean by priority encoding? The question goes like this for this particular case:

At which sector transition is there an out-of-alignment photocell?
    Sector3 to sector4
    Sector4 to sector5
    Sector5 to sector6
    Sector6 to Sector7

I guessed it as the Sector5 to Sector6. Is this right?

Thanks again for further help.

John
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am not sure what is the problem you are facing actually If you have to encode and there are more than 1 input at a single time we go for prioritisng the sectors so that the one having higher priority is executed than the one having lower priority
  • John Bradford
    John Bradford
    I am very sorry for badly placing the question. In fact, to help me understand this "alignment" or "out-of-alignment" of the encoder, I tried to do get an answer to the following problem:

An absolute optical encoder presents the following data:
    Sector3 (011)
    Sector4 (001)
    Sector5 (011)
    Sector6 (110)

At which sector transition is there an out-of-alignment photocell?
    Sector3 to sector4
    Sector4 to sector5
    Sector5 to sector6
    Sector6 to Sector7

The thing is that, the fact that I don't know for sure the answer to the above problem, it means I didn't understand the concept behind it. That's why I first would like to know the right answer to this problem, to help me further in this matter. Of course, I do appreciate your explanation, but how it can be applied in the above problem? The question asks, "At which sector transition is there an out-of-alignment photocell?" My answer by guessing is "Sector5 to sector6." But, is that right?

Thank you very much again for further help.

John
  • John Bradford
    John Bradford
    Steven Brooks:

Thank you for the reply. It seems you know things about this. I will keep the information you've given me now. Also, I wonder if you could kindly help me identify "the sector transition" where the out-of-alignment photocell accurs in the problem, please. I guess (just a guess) it is Sector5 to sector6. Am I wrong?
    Many thanks.

John

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Any iPad application developer here on CE ? I have one device which works as a Printer. What I want to know is that is it possible to develop an...
HELLO! just a little help, the nice book for the new learner of html..or website for the new learner.. i ll be happy for you cooperation,,.
What should we learn after electrical engineering which have good scope now and also in future? I wish to know about trainings and certifications that I can enroll in to...
Apple has announced the new iMac 2012 with upgrade specifications and of course price. We'll give you the bad news first - the new Apple iMac (2012) price in India...
I found an excellent dictionary "Engineering - The Illustrated Dictionary Of Electronics by Tony, Tim, and Samuel" which describes alomost all technical terms. i found that at: https://23ebooks.blogspot.in/2012/10/free-download-engineering-illustrated.html Suggest some...