Abrasives

The common types of abrasives used in the industry are of two types.
1.Artificial and 2.Natural

The natural abrasives which are commonly used include
1.Sandstone: It is also well known as solid quartz. We grind the grind stones from this sand stones.

2.Emery: This is nothing but Aluminum oxide. Have you heard of emery paper? Well about 60% constituent is Alumina and the remaining Iron Oxide.

3.Diamond: This is the hardest material ever known to mankind till date. But we use crude or very less than gem quality stones. Have you seen the diamond in Brinnel or Rockwell hardness testing machine? Well then see the diamond also.

4.Corundum: It is also Aluminum oxide. about 75% is alumina while remaining are impurities.

Artificial: These are man-made ones.

1.Silicon carbide: Composition is 56parts sand, 2parts salt and 12parts of saw dust.
There are two types of it.
1.Green grit
It has 97% SiC
and 2. Black grit
It has 95% SiC.
It is second hardest substance after diamond.

2.Aluminum Oxide
When Iron oxide, Silica containing Hydrated Aluminum oxide, mineral bauxite, titanium oxide are heated with ground coke then we get Al2O3. There may also be many other methods. Please fell free to share.

Yup and before commenting there is one condition. which is please correct me if I am wrong. 😁

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The Bayer process is customarily used to get pure aluminum hydroxide which is further processed to get Al2O3, most of which is used to make aluminum metal.

I am not aware of this thermal process for aloxide.

Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yup Bioramani. I too read this process which I have mentioned for the first time. Perhaps we should wait for someone who knows about it to comment. By the way it was invented sometime around 1890's. 😀

For those who do not know about it, Go through this link. It is a very explanatory page.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    2.Aluminum Oxide When Iron oxide, Silica containing Hydrated Aluminum oxide, mineral bauxite, titanium oxide are heated with ground coke then we get Al2O3. There may also be many other methods. Please fell free to share.
    I must confess that I am confused. If any oxide ore is heated with coke it gets reduced to the metal or a lower oxide. For example, iron oxide is reduced to iron in a blast furnace with coke.
    I have visited the Caborundum plant in Kerala, which produces Silicon Carbide by burning to gether coke and silica in which silicon dioxide is reduced to SiC.

Interesting.

Bioramani
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    "Aluminum oxide( Al2O3) is manufactured by heating mineral bauxite, a hydrated aluminum oxide clay containing Silica, iron oxide, titanium oxide etc. Then it is mixed with ground coke and iron borings in a arc-type electric furnace."

Have you heard of it?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    ishutopre
    "Aluminum oxide( Al2O3) is manufactured by heating mineral bauxite, a hydrated aluminum oxide clay containing Silica, iron oxide, titanium oxide etc. Then it is mixed with ground coke and iron borings in a arc-type electric furnace."
    Have you heard of it?
    I just cannot relate to the chemistry of this process. With all those oxides the coke can only reduce them. In any case, the rest of the iron, Silicon and Titanium will remain in the product. The Bayer Process on the other hand extracts the aluminium as a pure hydroxide which is calcined to give pure Al2O3.

I shall delve a little deeper and get back.

Bioramani

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

C program for the temperature monitoring circuit with pic 16f877a with pc interface the circuit uses a pt100 sensor for temperature sensing and then interfacing of pic 16f877a adc and...
Hello friends. Today I was having my Prolog exams. There I had a very interesting question that I would like to share with you. Ques: If there are N one...
Recently Bharat won world cup. I had a comparison. We have also won it in 1983. The total prizes won by team were Rs.1.33 Million (13 lakh 30 Thousand) In...
European Robotics (Robot) League (ERL) On 23 April 2011 the first European Robotics Contest will take place in Michelsen Arena of LCC International University in Klaipėda, Lithuania. Its objective is...
I got the news from a friend about his friend committing suicide out of frustration or guilt of not passing the 1st year examination. 😲 And I was shocked! We...