About the railway ( quetions)

Whever i travelled through an railway i have following quetions
1 u know about the railway chain that present in every wagon which is for emergency
What happen if chain is pulled? How train stops?
2 Is railway engine has clutch?of which type?
3 engine cylinder with which coolent?
4 how two wagons of rail are joined?Which coupling is used?
5 How train changes its rail from one to other?

Replies

• SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    1)The alarm chain in a passenger coach is designed to create a break in the continuity of the brake pipes (whether vacuum or air brakes), immediately resulting in a loss of brake pressure (or vacuum) and thereby cause the train brakes to be applied. With vacuum brakes, a clappet valve is provided that is released by the pulling of the alarm chain, and with air brakes, there is a similar passenger emergency valve that can vent the brake pipe to the atmosphere.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    5. There is something called a switch lever present at the point when the track splits and branches. by switching the lever a small movable portion of the track moves in the direction of one track, forming continuity with between the track ahead and the track from which the train will be approaching. in this way the wheels of the train are guided , to move on the circuit of tracks so formed.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    4. i do not exactly know the name of the coupling, but it appears very much to be a type of knuckle joint.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    4. i do not exactly know the name of the coupling, but it appears very much to be a type of knuckle joint.
    4. No, the joint used to couple two rail wagons is 'Turn Buckle Joint'.
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    [​IMG] This is small turn buckle joint...
    and sorry, dont know about the coolent used.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

so how does this turn buckle joint work and how does it differ from the knuckle joint ?
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    sorry guys i"ll take my words back. its not turnbuckle.😕 But i remember that i read that somewhere.

#-Link-Snipped-# you are right, there is type known as "knuckle coupler".
    There are other ones also, such as 1)Traditional buffer-and-chain coupler
    2)Chain coupler
    3)Albert Coupler
    4)Link-and-pin coupler

• Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    You can get that here:
    Railway Coupling
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

so how does this turn buckle joint work and how does it differ from the knuckle joint ?
    Actually Turnbuckle works on principle of thread friction, while the knuckle joint has a knuckle pin in it.

Knuckle joint is widely used....
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    thanka for the information fro CEians.And I want to know which train is efficient?whether the electric train or a diesel powered train?
  • Kedar Malwadkar
    Kedar Malwadkar
    Efficient? In terms of what?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Speed Electric

Cost of construction diesel (as the cost for laying that posts and stuff is zero)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends Yesterday I was doing some research on cell phone tracking then I found an interesting term "cell phone triangulation" through which one can guess the most accurate location...
hi, I want to know about how to interface with web cam.. as by using our web cam, we can just watch our surrounding object and take images..but how to...
How can I switch from a 12v DC source to a 9v DC source? Something like an automatic transfer switch? The main source is the 12v. If the 12v goes...
What are the differences between Data Administrator (DA) and Database Administrator (DBA) roles in any organization?
It's been just over a week since Google announced its plans to extend Fiber to the City of Violet Crown, Austin, Texas and we already know where to next. Provo,...