Aadhaar Card As Identity Proof - Indian Banks Go Digital

Looks like the Indian Banks are going digital and now allow aadhaar card as a valid identity proof for the bank's Know Your Customer Program. We've written about Indian Government's #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# several #-Link-Snipped-#. It looks like the new bank customers won't have to carry truckloads of documents as their identity proof. Your single identity card - Aadhaar will do it for you - and electronically.

The UIDAI (which is an abbreviation of Unique Identification Authority Of India) is now ready with the electronic Know Your Customer (eKYC) for the banks to make use of the facility and expedite the identification process for new account customers. The system will take your finger prints along with other biometric data and your 12 digit aadhaar number and then verify it with the central server. The whole process is expected to take not more than just a few seconds. RBI will clearly instruct the banks to allow Aadhaar identification.

Do you think that's a good move? I continue to wonder why India needed another 'identification' system when there were 'passports' which more or less have had the same unique identification system for years. It'd have been more economical if the Government just spent some money in digitising those.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been wondering why passports are still the old school paper books with Jurassic stamps on them? Why haven't the passports gone digital yet? Are there any serious issues with...
The Tata Consultancy Services continues to be the biggest IT services and consulting company in India and the company has announced that they're sticking to their recruitment plan for the...
Guys, I am facing a problem where the pressure gages fail often... How to make a root cause analysis for the same?
Day before yesterday, many places in M.P. experienced earthquake of intensity upto 5. I also felt my bed and tv shaking.. The reason said is the mining going on at...
Hey hi guys.. this is Abdul Rahman a graduated mechanical engineer from Chennai currently working in Dubai as a trainee engineer. My hobbies are playing snooker and 10-pin bowling &...