A World Without Friction

What if there was a switch for friction and someone flipped that switch off? Can you imagine a world without friction? What would it be like? How would we adapt? Shoot even sitting on a cheer would be difficult. Driving to work and riding your bike to school would be impossible. Would we still be able to sail across the sees or fly to lands far far away.
As an engineer its very good to be observant. Just take 5 mins of your time and think about what you would not be able to do if someone turned friction off.
[​IMG]

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    There is no answer to this Though we may hate the impact once in a while How on earth can we keep ourself warm in the cold weather

Chennai you can't imagine without friction from high speed bikers to ice cold winters
    From long stretch of roads to sudden breaks due to jerks
    From slippery marbles to rough granites
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. Cannot move on own; 2. No earth bound vehicle can move unless rocket powered; 3. Planes can take off and fly but not land; 4. Ships and boats can travel and even stop by reversing propellers; 5. Helicopters can work; 6. Cannot turn pages of books nor write on paper; 7. Metal working using conventional machinery not possible; 8. EDM, Laser cutting, Electro Chemical Milling will work, 9. Manual milking of cattle not possible; 10. Peeling skin off vegetables not possible

WE can walk with spiked boots on soft surfaces.

The list will be endless....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The world wouldn't exist without it, right?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    When i was in school , they described in physics about friction as "necessary evil".

This sums up everything, that friction has its own usages and disadvantages.

there are certain mechanical devices like clutches, brakes, belts and pulleys, screws, cams, which work only on friction.

And the most important of all: without friction , the early men wouldn't have been able to discover fire.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Yes, world wouldn't exist without friction.
    Right from creation of human/animal creation to living to luxury Friction is essential. As Ramani Sir had listed out, nothing in this world is possible without friction.

-CB
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Its pretty amazing once we think about how much we depend on friction to live as we do everyday. I was sitting in traffic yesterday, bumper to bumper just inching forward and I thought of this. My crazy engineering mind just went off in that direction.
    I think friction is so vital in engineering and as an engineer we must have a great awareness of it. Its a key force to consider when designing or building something because whatever we build interacts with the environment in some way and vice-versa.
    It is how we as engineers should see the world around us as it is. It will help us solve problems and understand critical failure points in machines and therefore allow us to make critical decisions.
    Someone who is not an engineer would not appreciate friction, and the benefits and disasters it can create. We as engineers should see the world around us differently.
    For example, I was talking to and Alternative Medicine doctor who heals the body using cup therapy, massages and by using various techniques that can indicate where something is out of place or out of balance in the body.
    Usually patients would have to strip almost fully undressed during sessions. I asked him how he deals with female patients and how does he make them feel comfortable.
    He said, 'All I see is energy.' He is excellent at what he does and is very professional.

So pause for a cause, take a look around you'd be surprised and you will also open your mind to a new world

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy Days for consumers in Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kolkata, West Bengal, Assam, North East, Bihar, and Orissa circles. Idea Cellular had decided to slash the 2G price by whopping 90%....
I have been a spidigo internet subscriber for 8 months now and using a broadband cable connection. I wanted to use mobile phone and a laptop through wireless medium hence...
I do not even remember that in last one year of so, how many mobile phones reviews I had read. Also, not sure which one is best out of the...
I am student of last year at graduation level.I want to execute my project in Structures devotedly .Kindly suggest me a few emerging and important project topics. The projects which...
Almost 3 months after the release of Resource section; We, CrazyEngineers now have more than 500 books in the CE library & still the number is increasing daily.Thanks to some...