A (vacuum cleaner) craft to clear debris and restore vacuum to space?

A Swiss institute is proposing to build satellites that will hunt, capture and bring back earth orbiting debris to fiery death in a suicidal embrace. While this may be a marvel of Swiss precision Army Knife activity, is this responsible engineering?
No question but that we have to clean up the mess we have made up there. But sending up a hunt and capture satellite, which has to spew out a lot of emissions to maneuver to reach the target, deorbit and burn itself and its captive seems to be wasteful of resources and creation of more pollution.

Who bears the cost and how many missions would be required to make a perceptible change is anybody's guess.

I for one am in the dissent on this.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    A Swiss institute is proposing to build satellites that will hunt, capture and bring back earth orbiting debris to fiery death in a suicidal embrace. While this may be a marvel of Swiss precision Army Knife activity, is this responsible engineering?
    No question but that we have to clean up the mess we have made up there. But sending up a hunt and capture satellite, which has to spew out a lot of emissions to maneuver to reach the target, deorbit and burn itself and its captive seems to be wasteful of resources and creation of more pollution.

Who bears the cost and how many missions would be required to make a perceptible change is anybody's guess.

I for one am in the dissent on this.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Sir, here is something I believe logical.

Let me explain-
    The space debris has been built over out of many space missions over the decades. Someone has to clear it else, acting as 'projectile' the matter may serve to be dangerous.

Now who will bear the cost? All those countries who have contributed to that dirt should take responsibility for it. However, it is difficult to reach a consensus over it.

You are also concerned about pollution in outer space, right?
    Well, we have to compromise here. Anyhow, we were having the space debris high up in the sky. If not cleared, it will keep on accumulating. There is no other way. Otherwise develop, solar fed vehicles for the job.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I came to know about CollateBox after a reader of VoiCE posted a link to their video in a comment on my article - Google Drive Screenshot Leaked – Google...
Hello people, The agenda for the Tiecon's Nagpur Event is now here. Check it out - Agenda For DAY ONE - Agenda for DAY TWO -
How to add catalyst effects on kinetic behavior of a chemical reaction in various chemical reactor models in Aspen plus software? How to create a catalytic reactor model for simulation...
You must have already read in the news about Gujarat becoming the first state in the country to generate solar power through panels mounted on a water body. The state...
Did Verisign Steal Axis Bank’s Logo? In 2010, Verisign sold its authentication business unit to Symantec (the makers of the Norton Anti-Virus suite) for $1.28 billion. Verisign manages two of...