A tough riddle: What do they say?

A tough riddle: What did he say?

A person goes to a village where it is against the law to tell a lie.
However he says that he is going to tell a lie and not go to court. Someone overhears him saying that and tells the police who say to the person, did you say that you were going to tell a lie and not get arrested?
In reply, the person says "no, I never said that" .
But the crowd points at him and shouts "He did!".
So the person is taken to court. If the person tells a lie at court, they will be killed slowly and painfully, if they tell the truth, their death will be quick and painless.
However, the person says something that forces the court to let them go free.

What did he say?

Replies

• shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @AKD- Can I consider the content in the person's 1st statement( its his future prediction) as the reference for truth or lies? For e.g. if the person predicts 'something' & 'it' doesn't happen will it mean that he was lying in the first place itself?plz reply
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    He actually said that he is going to tell a lie and "not go to court".
    But police asked him Did you say that you were going to tell a lie and "not get arrested"?

So what police meant was the same thing,but still different.

I don't know but this answer of mine may sound stupid 😛
  • itchap
    itchap
    He said "I will be killed slowly and painfully if it is true then the judge would have to make it false by sentencing him for quick and painless death. If it was false, then he would have to kill him slowly and painfully, which would make it true". Rather than contradict his own word, the court set the man free.
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    @itchap- I think your answer is perfect.
    @AKD- is it right?
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    itchap that was very confusing...!!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @shreyas: I was searching for some tough puzzles across the net that are unsolved, when I found this.
    So, I don't have a correct solution.

@itchap: Good job. I think that's the correct solution 👍

@others: Any other answers?
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i think he said he said as "ya i did but because of a reason" and he explained a nice reason so he might be left free

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

it would be better if my project was baesd on these two. i have also interest in forensic science & genetics project. please suggest a informative project. also my term...
Engineering is so trendy these days that everybody wants to be one. The word "engineer" is greatly overused. If there's somebody in your life who you think is trying to...
I stumbled across this video: [video=youtube;sZmTEsMqNbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZmTEsMqNbk[/video]
The campus recruitment across the college in India are in full spree. I was just wondering, does Google conduct campus recruitment in Indian Engineering Colleges?
A Bluetooth enabled buzzer system would be a great mini project for our third/final year engineering students. The system should allow pairing with about 5-8 consoles and indicate the console...