A silly little puzzle..

Hi all,
Answer this now..
I have a weighing scale and there is an empty plastic bottle on the scale. A certain reading is shown in the scale. Now, a fly enters the mouth of the bottle. Note, it does not go to the bottom of the bottle. It's just flying inside the bottle. Is there a change in the weighing scale? Why?

P.S: [This qn is asked in a puzzle competition in our college. I have guessed the answer, but I dont know it for sure.]

Replies

• m_rahuul
    m_rahuul
    no!...there will be no change in the weighing scale....
    the simple reason being that as long as the fly is just flying inside the bottle and has no contacts with the bottle....it does not exert any force on the bottle(no action-reaction exists).....and we know that weight is a form of force..no force=>no weight change
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Heh, I bet the answer is going to be 'yes'. But I'll go with a 'No'. At least, that's what I've observed ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I guess it is going to affect the weight. 'Yes' beecause now weight of bottle will include the weight of that fly also. Isn't it?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The answer i think is yes ,but not due to the weight as it doesnt put weight on the bottle , but as its the small bottle as the fly flies the air around the bottle may excert some pressure on the bottle so the weight changes , this is my anticipation. ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Assuming that the bottle remains open the answer is yes. When the fly flies inside the bottle its wings will flap. The flapping wings will force the some air downwards. The air force in the downward direction will be equal to the fly's position in air(Newton's 3rd law).
    The air pressure in the downward direction will be responsible for the increase in the scales reading. The change will be minute though.
    If the bottle is closed then there will be no change as the force will be distributed along the side of the bottle.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    With that logic, we should also make sure that the measurements are taken at the time when no one in the world is sneezing. I bet it will affect the reading!
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    No, the farce will not be in the downward direction. If someone sneezes over the weighing machine then the reading may change. Again the change will be negligible unless you are measuring with an accuracy of 0.0000000001 Kg
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @SilverScorpion,
    Please try to share its answer by EOD ๐Ÿ˜‰.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    There should be Change...
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    good answer raj , by the way how are you ?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ha ha, I have to say, my reasoning is that, Yes, it'll change the reading. And for the explanation, it's the same as raj has explained. Of course, I didnt verify the answer with the event co-ords, but I'm almost sure this is the way it is. wat say guys?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm with Raj on this one. Depends on the sensitivity of the scale, though.
  • gohm
    gohm
    What was the previous contents of the now empty bottle? What species of fly? Chemical offgassing from temperature changes on residue remnants and the wing beat rate along with wing size could have heat/vibrational effects that could alter procise readings... =)
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    hi there,
    this is just a puzzle and no detailed statistics here. Read the question, assume what you dont know and answer. that's all.. Assumption is a great thing, you know!!๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, I'm thinking we can share our favorite firefox extenisons. Firefox is my most favorite browser, and what makes it special are the extensions. share the ones you like...
from past few days ,iam facing an issie with the outlook express 6.0 everytime time I start OE,the password stored in it vanishes and i have to reconfigure OE each...
I found a nice article on the following link. Go through it - squawkfox ยป 6 Words That Make Your Resume Suck
Hello all, I have a portable media player based on 32bits MIPS processor,which has USB interfaces. I want to integrate a Blue Tooth Module to this system through its USB...
Quite a long time I have been observing many CEans specially CE Admin/CE Mods/CE Editors using [spam] kind of tag in their posts. Two questions are disturbing me from that...