A computational bow-spring model as a Energy Storage Vessel.

Date Issued: 2011
Abstract:
Bow-springs find few applications in industry. Principally, they are used in archery. In addition, they have found some use in a compression-spring mode in the field of biomechatronics, to emulate elastic human legs. The mechanical behavior (characterized by deflected shape and deformation force) is difficult to model, because internal forces and moments and the geometry are both unknown. The only closed-form solutions to such systems are relatively useless to a mechanical engineer. This work comprises an iterative model developed in MATLAB that computes the mechanical behavior of buckled beam (or bow-spring) sections, over a range of parameters and geometries, to be used in the development and testing of compression bow-springs as parallel loading systems to the human leg.
Description: Thesis (S.B.)--Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, February 2011."May

So this is unknown territory. What can we build on to get energy out in the world that can power a cooking stove for a day?
My fork in the road is four way. 1. Stick to
Conventional spring technology. 2. Track nanotubes (slow in development). 3. Review the flywheel application. 4. Look at this emerging interest in composite bow-spring application.
The decision will make or break the stove for millions of people. I want something NOW to hit the market with. Help me sort this out.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The devil as always is in the details. Mechanical energy storage has one of the lowest energy densities. While batteries of various kinds have energy densities between 1.2 to 3 MJ/Litre, a clock spring has only 0.0006 MJ/Litre. Not practical for the intended application of cooking after converting to electricity.

Energy Density Extended Reference Table
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    How does composite fibers fit into the the devils details? Can this be a new application for a workable energy storage vessel? While I did see a video of a real nanotube spring about one inch in length working. That's a long ways off to being useful. It may be the only answer eventually but I just feel like we're missing something. Call it a hunch. I am just not ready to give up. I've seen to many times in my career where they say at a later date, oops we were wrong, sorry. Look at what they are saying about cold fusion now after putting the gentleman down. Then 20 yrs later they said oops. He said he didn't have it to start the research all over. They wore him out in their attacks on his ideas.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Don Ross
    Look at what they are saying about cold fusion now after putting the gentleman down.
    Cold Fusion is still under a cloud. It is still called a hypothetical nuclear reaction.
    The process nearest to comercialization appears to be compressed air at about 4500 psi pressure. Even this requires access to powered compressors for refilling. Hence not too well suited to remote locations.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    hmmmmm

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Object recognition is one of the many challenging and widely studied areas in artificial intelligence. Even the best object detectors sometimes fail to recognize objects. In order to build an...
CASE A : #include #include int main() { int y = (8,9); printf("%d ,%f , %lf", 8.76, 8.987654); getch(); return 0; }CASE B: #include #include int main() { int y...
Dear my friends, followers, motivators and mentors of Crazyengineers. I am proud to share with you that I have finally managed to win my first International Contest title, the IoT...
I had been searching and learning about clocks and specifically the escapements. Quite frankly I didn't know one escapement from the other. But YouTube tracked me and when I logged...
If you have been worrying about all those international calls you have to make to your clients and relatives staying abroad every month, here's an app that ought to really...