3G And 4G - Discussions

Hello Everyone,
I am working on 4G at IIT Kharagpur. I would like to share and discuss about the technology, concepts and what not about this hot topic.

So what else...

Follow on friends!!!

πŸ˜›

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: 3G And 4G

It would help if you post specific ideas, questions, thoughts etc. about 3G & 4G to provide a direction to the discussion.

Otherwise, wikipedia's got lot of information πŸ˜€

All I know is 3G is already old & Motorola will begin testing 4G in India by Nov-Dec 2009.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    4G is now yet standardized yet. They say, they need 1Gbps speed for stationary and 100Mbps speed for Mobile...

There comes the concept of heterogenity and seamless handoff... Before solving that we cannot proceed towards 4G.

The terms 3.9G and 3.75G are used to describe the technologies used till date.

😎
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    4G speeds are around 70 mbps, to the best of my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • debu
    debu
    I don't know much in this field, but HSPA+, which supports 42Mbits/sec has already been deployed at several places (and the first deployment goes back as far as June 2008). I don't think that 100Mbits/sec is too far away (again, I'm talking deployment).
    Just my thoughts.

Regards,

Debu πŸ˜€
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    Well, HSPA+ (High Speed Packet Access), is still not able to fulfill the expectation of Reseachers. The extended research is going on to increase the speed.

LTE-Advanced (Long term Evolution) is the term involved in Next Generation i.e. 4G.

@Debu
    100Mbps is not too far away, but is yet to be acheived. Even i am learning the concepts. So, I shall put on my views as and far i know.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    for seamless handoff I presume we are already moving ahead with media independent hand over functions. will 4G Layer model be implementing this?
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    For MIH (Media Independent Handover), there is no seamlessness in Handover. That means if we are using heterogeneous networks containing all type of networks, we will not be able to switch from one network to another easily.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm, are you sure about that?
    because the existing Fast handover MHI already does both Vertical handover (L2->L3) and as well horizontal handover within the acess node => L2 handovers which might be any type of network.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    I am still doing literature survey, so i am not so sure. But want to discuss all about it here.

If you have any knowledge about these things, please share here. 😁

Thanks for giving life to this thread...

durga
    hmm, are you sure about that?
    because the existing Fast handover MHI already does both Vertical handover (L2->L3) and as well horizontal handover within the acess node => L2 handovers which might be any type of network.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    CE is full of researchersπŸ˜‰
    anyways 4G is expected to be standardized soon but a hell lot of re innovation & capital expenditure is required on the cell sites & equipment.Henceforth telecom giant like Lucent is presently on market analysis stage as of now ,however continuing their back end R&D on handoff,call & chip rate & SNR...as confirmed by one of my friend@alcatel-lucent
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Can't wait till LTE is tested in Malaysia next year. Though, I do feel sorry for the companies who already spent a lot of money for Wimax licenses and infrastructure.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    ash
    Can't wait till LTE is tested in Malaysia next year. Though, I do feel sorry for the companies who already spent a lot of money for Wimax licenses and infrastructure.
    Ya tats true. Technology keeps on changing... and this time it is changing too fast!!!

That is a big leap in generation...😁
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    sumIIT
    Ya tats true. Technology keeps on changing... and this time it is changing too fast!!!

That is a big leap in generation...😁
    Technology changes on our need & desires ...faster mobility & efficiency is the only reason for this leap ahead...but as i said earlier its facing lots of challenges ahead...so watch for it!
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    just2rock
    Technology changes on our need & desires ...faster mobility & efficiency is the only reason for this leap ahead...but as i said earlier its facing lots of challenges ahead...so watch for it!
    And the higher expectations too!!!

People want to watch video while walking, talking, eating and running... πŸ˜›

The Video conferencing and the need of many more similar applications are motivating us to go ahead...😁
  • ashutoshglamour
    ashutoshglamour
    why this 4G is called as LTE(long term evolution)
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    I do feel sorry for the companies who already spent a lot of money for Wimax licenses and infrastructure.
    What I don't understand is, why is that the companies invest in research when engineering communities are already doing it? I mean its such a waste of resources with hardware, licensing and stuff.

@ Sumit,

As far as I know regarding MIH, It basically has three jobs to do, one constantly detect the motion of the mobile device, second do the handover process and third is maintenance of a tunnel till the binding id done. For eg if you consider MIP , basic problem with current hand off comes into picture, where the TCP sessions need to be severed when the device moves from network to another, causing the socket session to be reestablished. With MIH this wont happen, instead a tunnel will be established to transfer , buffer and divert the data packets from home statsion to new station.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    By the way, I feel the best way to discuss is to take each layer and see what protocols are being used and how are they an enhancement on the previous ones used, and open research topics in these ones.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    durga
    By the way, I feel the best way to discuss is to take each layer and see what protocols are being used and how are they an enhancement on the previous ones used, and open research topics in these ones.
    Nice idea Durga...😁

Well, even i am thinking to converge the area of my research on 4G, so that it will be worth producing some results.πŸ˜€

There are many problems with 4G like heterogeneity etc. Can we discuss some problems here.

I am interested to work on Physical layer. Can u guys suggest me how can i proceed?
  • siva
    siva
    hi sumiit what i am asking is like long distance transmission something with low frequency transmission.....do you have any informaion on this????

transmitting data from a sub system to a remote station......what do you think is best possible way????
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    siva
    hi sumiit what i am asking is like long distance transmission something with low frequency transmission.....do you have any informaion on this????

transmitting data from a sub system to a remote station......what do you think is best possible way????

Sorry friend... I dont have any information about that...

But I'll request other CEs to Give their views... Thanks!!!
  • might_b
    might_b
    Oh my god these speeds are making me freak, my mobile has 3.5G HSPDA but i didnt used it yet from day i bought it.. when india going to be used of it.. πŸ˜”
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    ashutoshglamour
    why this 4G is called as LTE(long term evolution)
    Its a term Decided by 3GPP (Third generation partnership project). LTE-Advanced is used to represent 4G wherein HSPA+ and other technologies are covered.

The LTE is an efficient mean of conveying both data and control information between an enhanced base station and mobile user equipment. The LTE employs some advanced technologies that are new to cellular applications. These include Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) and Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) data transmission. In addition, the LTE uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access
    (OFDMA) on the downlink and Single Carrier – Frequency Division Multiple Access (SC-FDMA) on the uplink.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    Hi... was busy with some work...

can we continue our discussions...

Come on players. Where are you?😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    durga
    What I don't understand is, why is that the companies invest in research when engineering communities are already doing it? I mean its such a waste of resources with hardware, licensing and stuff.
    The licensing is usually due to the frequency allocation. Now, fierce debate rages on with regards to regulation of the frequency spectrum, but most of the service provider's costs lie with acquiring the use of the restricted frequency range, since only their services has full access to it. Next would be the deployment costs.

In the long run, LTE would prove to be economical because its easier for service providers to upgrade from 3G to that, rather than from Wimax. So the only thing Wimax players can do now is get as much money as possible to cover their initial investment before LTE arrives πŸ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    sumIIT
    The LTE employs some advanced technologies that are new to cellular applications. These include Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) and Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) data transmission. In addition, the LTE uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access
    (OFDMA) on the downlink and Single Carrier – Frequency Division Multiple Access (SC-FDMA) on the uplink.
    I believe OFDM and MIMO transrecivers are already being used as part of 802.11 for WiFi so any idea what's being enhanced now?
  • sanhbh
    sanhbh
    hi boss, i would like to know much about 3g-4g,
    so please send me some info about it.
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    Please specify your queries because everything cannot be explained here.

Thanks and regards...

πŸ˜€
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    I need to have some details on 3G & 4G in long term specifications.what sort of related information you need on same...let us know so that we can may help you out!
  • sumIIT
    sumIIT
    I am basically doing research on the issues of Wireless Internet for next generation. I would be interested if i'll get information on some major problems of 4G (Beyond 3G) in deep.

Also i am learning about IPv6 implementation.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    well wireless internet is the next future...beyond actual 3mbps speed realization is what technology will have atough time to prove...check out same with Photon Plus fro TATA IT GIVES MAX 1.5 MBPS DOWNLINK because of EDVO rate traffic on BTS nearby.

IPV6 will be not a tough challenge like 4G as the network upgradation is only req to make it work in terms of more security & operational throughput
  • piyushh
    piyushh
    hey sumit..can u give us some brief..ideas regarding bandwidth problems in 4g..and also how the fundamental modulations schemes like QAM and QPSK are implemented....and ofcourse some basics related to 4g. how it will compete 3g..its quite obvious that it has better speed..but sm more ideas..amm like..security,effeciency,relaiblity ,data rates
  • gokulkannan
    gokulkannan
    hello frenzzzzzzzz,,i dont have that much knowledge about the 3G and 4G...will any one tell me difference between the twoooooo......
  • bimlendu
    bimlendu
    please can someone guide me how to implement ofdm on hardware i.e. some guidance for implementing ofdm with circuit
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    This is an awesome discussion for 4G...why don't we start it again?
  • durgashanker
    durgashanker
    Hi all,,
    What is the fun in thinking of $g , technology, if the world is working on 6G technolgy..
    6g technology is under research in Germany..
    4g technology was already started inmany advanced countries. and this tecehnology is developed by kesara communications in Banglore,India........
    correct me, if found errors
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durgashanker
    Hi all,,
    What is the fun in thinking of $g , technology, if the world is working on 6G technolgy..
    6g technology is under research in Germany..
    4g technology was already started inmany advanced countries. and this tecehnology is developed by kesara communications in Banglore,India........
    correct me, if found errors
    To the best of my knowledge the standards for 4G are not final yet to think about 5G. Could you post further information about 4G, 5G & 6G?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Internet turns 40 today! 😁 Len Kleinrock and his team at UCLA when they began tests 40 years ago on what would become the Internet. 😁😁😁😁😁 Source: Internet turns 40...
What's the difference between these two circuits when calculating the voltage across the resistors? 1st circuit: Circuit is packed with resistors. Positive terminal of battery connected to negative terminal. 2nd...
Hi I have taken a project in my final year of B.tech. It is in vb.net..I have to create a database for which i dont need to carry it to...
Hiiii This is Amit. I am doing electrical&electronics engg. (7thsem) frm IP university. Can sm1 plz help me out in gettn seminar report & project relating to my trade. 😁...
A very sassy, fierce, funny and flawed book by Candace Bushnell, that is both irresistible and hugely entertaining. In her book she follows three women through the minefield of work,...