10 Myths About Diamonds

Quote:
You wouldn’t necessarily have assumed this to be the case, but myths associated with diamonds are actually quite prevalent. Here are 10 of the most common:
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    This one is quite interesting
    7. Diamonds do not conduct electricity.
    Many engineers once believed diamonds could not conduct electricity due to a tetrahedron structure made by covalent bonds between carbon atoms, which doesn’t allow for free electrons to carry current. Most natural diamonds are electrical insulators, but by manipulating the properties of diamond through CVD, it is possible to introduce controlled dopants that let the material conduct electricity quite effectively.

Adding boron to the lattice make diamonds blue at low concentrations and opaque at higher concentrations. At these high concentrations, diamonds behave like a metal and become a good conductor of electricity.

Boron doped diamonds (BDD) make excellent electrode materials with a larger electrochemical potential window in aqueous solutions than conventional electrode materials. BDD are also extremely chemical-stable and able to survive in extreme environments, such as highly contaminated waste water treatment applications.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Myth #11: FYIW, diamonds are a girl's best friend 😐

I found this a lot more interesting:

Diamonds degrade to graphite because graphite is a lower-energy configuration under typical conditions.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Principal Engineer (C&I, Active Vehicle Control)-00040496 Would you like to apply your knowledge of control systems design to cutting edge submarine control systems, which determine the way in with the...
Hi dudes, I want to do PG- DESD after B.E. Could someone tell me about the exam pattern for section A,B&C of C-CAT. Where can I find previous papers of...
Acer unveiled Spin 7 in the country touted as the world’s thinnest convertible notebook at INR 1,09,000. The Windows 10 Home-based device features a 14-inch full-HD IPS panel with a...
So I saw a post about mice and just came here, I think I can find Indian people here. I've been online for 2 hours searching for a mouse. I...
Hello all, Recently when learning programming language, I accidentally found out an interesting relationship between prime number and Fibonacci number. That is, a positive integer number can be analyzed as...