wind powered moped

i found a video in utube on an episode of planet mechanics where these people use wind power to run a moped, the episode was really interesting.

compressed air cylinder was fitted in the moped.the compressed air was then used to run a motor which was connected to the rear wheel using chain drive.

the drawback faced by this kind of a machine was that we need to keep recycling the compressed air cylinder. the drawback could be avoided if we could by any means compress the air.
what are the methods by which we could compress the air? any ideas?😒

Replies

• sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Please see this site.. It may help you

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    There was a nice thread on the topic " Compressed Air Vehicles" in the forum, just search it.

Yes, we can buld two wheelers using Compressed Air as he fuel, the compressor providing it. This can be done you need to reasearch a bit and study the system.

All the Best.
  • bottomline99
    bottomline99
    people underestimate the energy dissipated when braking. a 300kW v8 car can stop alot quicker than it takes off. yes the brakes are almost always more powerfull than the engine. the energy is eventually dissipated as heat to the air. dont get confused, at no stage would disk brakes radiate 350kW of heat (as the heat is gradually released) but the yes, instantaneously the brakes collectivley absorb 350 kW of pure kinetic energy.

my second point is people over estimate how much power is required to maintain a reasonable speed. at a constant speed of 50km/hr (30mph) in your car how far down is your foot? just a little right? in fact the engine only has to overcome drive train friction and air resistance. i'd probly guess the average car is producing 15 - 20 kW in this situation. powerfull car engines purley exist for accelleration purposes.

these concepts of coarse apply to motorcycles, and even push bikes where your legs are the engine.

so my 5 cents is this. the bike should have two cylinders where one is used to produce torque to propell the bike, the other independant cylinder is utilised as the rear brake and is engaged when the brake lever is pulled, and subsequently compresses air back into the tank (driven by the back wheel and your kinetic energy). this taps into that otherwise foolishly lost proportionally large amount of energy. going down hills with the compressor on would be like going to the gas station to fill up for free. In fact realistically you could probably turn around and almost get half way back up the hill using only the energy you just stored at the cost of going slower down the hill. also, alot of air could be saved with slower acceleration.

I mention this as a theoretical concept only
  • saggi1991
    saggi1991
    How about this. You use a normal ic engine along with it. air can be compressed using the same technique used in aeroplanes or more precisely jet engines. when sufficent air is compressed wind energy can be used for propellsion

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i'm an ECE 6th sem stdnt.....i want to know how is it possible to interface PC to LED/LCD in order to form a graphic display...
Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey announced his new company on Tuesday in appropriate fashion: with a tweet on the network he created in 2006. His new company, Square, allows merchants and...
The draw says it will be South Africa playing hosts to the FIFA world cup next year The 32 teams participating at next year's FIFA World Cupâ„¢ finals discovered their...
Has anyone watched the movie... Please share your views about it
Hello CEans! I want you to pour in the knowledge and reviews about the network marketing or we can say multi-level marketing. there are a lot of companies which offer...