WIMAX using satellite communcation

I came across this one as a very good research topic, though I have not read about it as of yet to trigger of the discussion, mean while has any one heard / worked on it?

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    It sounds like a good field. Not something I'd do research on (let's face it, I'm a mechie I couldn't make head or tales of the thing even if I wanted to ๐Ÿ˜), but something I wouldn't mind paying for!! Imagine internet access wherever you want, in your terrace, in the middle of the ocean or on a trek in the himalays!!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    thats all good๐Ÿ˜ ! think of delay on transmission of voice?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I hadn't really thought of that, but i'm sure our competent colleagues from electronics and computers will come up with something to address that as well!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, you can technically have internet connection anywhere in the world (including north pole) using the Iridium constellation. It'll be slow.. but enough to post on CE ๐Ÿ˜›

Durga, do you mean using satellites as a backbone for Wimax?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ ash,
    yup! Thats what i mean.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    didn't Iridum go bust?? (the company that made sat phones I mean)
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nope, they are still very much around.

Wimax via satellite would probably face the same issues as any other sat coms.. the issue of uplink speeds and coverage. But, if we are assuming that it is covering rural areas where an overland backhaul is expensive, then it does make sense. I think that would be the main purpose of combining both Wimax and satellite together anyway.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    yeah mostly to provide internet to sparsely populated areas where laying a fibre or for that matter erecting up a AP would be expensive.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Wait, won't you need to erect an AP for the Wimax node anyway? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    Wait, won't you need to erect an AP for the Wimax node anyway? ๐Ÿ˜›
    wait, if thats the case then whats the whole point of satellites coming into picuture! ?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    By AP do you mean access point?? Don't mean to sound like an idiot but, can't the satellite be used directly (circumventing the need for an AP) ?? I mean the satellite beams down data and a nifty little device on your laptop/netbook 'catches' it??
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    mad_scientist
    By AP do you mean access point?? Don't mean to sound like an idiot but, can't the satellite be used directly (circumventing the need for an AP) ?? I mean the satellite beams down data and a nifty little device on your laptop/netbook 'catches' it??
    That's what I was thinking! ๐Ÿ˜› This sure does need a read
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    found something similar

Satellite Internet Access
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, satellite signals can be beamed directly to the receiver, but they are very expensive and slow at uplinks.

Here's what I hypothesize the use of Wimax and Sat com together. Each user would have a cheap Wimax modem to be connected to the nearest Wimax base station (or access points). This base station (or a larger mobile station) will contain a high bandwidth transceiver with a high gain antenna, not unlike those used in TV ground stations.

Basically, the satellite component will replace the backhaul of the Wimax infrastucture. Different base stations can be scattered around the area without the need of backhaul cables linking each of them.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ ash,
    you are talking about replacing the whole wired/unwired internet back bone with satellite structure is it? not a bad idea at all ๐Ÿ˜, but what me and maddie were thinking (ok atleast what i was thinking) was, consider the resort areas/ housing colonies away from main suburbs in that case would employing a AP be a fair deal?

may be both the ideas can be combined, cater to such areas with satellite and let the satellites do the talking with other networks accessign internet. this would make the GEO satellites be a new techonlogy in internet communcation very similar to wireless communcation.

am i clear or did I confuse ?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, not replace the whole Internet backbone, just the Wimax infrastructure. Only the infrastructure that links the BTS with the network provider edge would be handled by the satellites. LEOs would be sufficient for this. GEOs are just too costly to use for rural operations.

That would be how I presume the use of both Wimax and Sat com together.
  • thejas jeeth
    thejas jeeth
    Hai very good morning ,
    In fact i was very fasinated about the topic i,e the wimax. but really i didnt get its proper idea except the general veiw .so i need know mch about its practically implimented feilds or the devices developed with that technology . so if you have please do mail to my id that is < removed >
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    No point in sharing your email ID. We request all the discussions to happen through the forums so that larger audience benefits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Iam Proposing to do a project in Scanned Image Processing in Python Iam a Btech Student..Iam seeking Help from you in doing that..If anyone has any idea in this Plz...
Hi , Why executable files can't be e-mailed like other files? Is there any possible way to e-mail .exe files?
i m studying telecommunication engineering and currently in my final year.i am doing my tech thesis one.i have an idea abt my project.The idea is controlling ur vehicle thru mobile...
A lot of final year students might be looking for a project report format. The links below direct to a sample report that you might find helpful as a guide....
Hello, i am a newbie. Im 14 and am taking GCSE Electronics and i am hoping to continue on and take A level Physics. At school, we came across energy,...