WikiPedia Russian site would Shut Down as a protest

Wikipedia on Tuesday shut down its Russian-language site (ru.wikipedia.org) for 24 hours to protest a bill that would give the Russian government sweeping powers to blacklist certain sites.

Wikipedia's Russian-language site encouraged users to spread the word about the law and contact their representatives in parliament to lobby against it. The protest is somewhat similar to the shutdown of the Wiki's English-language site in January to protest the anti-pirating Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. Congress.

Per Lawmakers in Russia, the bill, is to be reviewed in parliament on Tuesday, and is designed to protect children. Critics of the rules argues that instead of protecting children these rules gives too wide a scope for the government to subjectively select which sites to blacklist. Media director of Russia Anton Nossik said in an blog that 'For the past 12 years I was sure that the Russian government was smart enough not to censor the Internet. Now they are scattering any doubt.'

-CB

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys i am new here and i am a final year electrical engineering student. I want your help , please suggest me some projects for my final year.😀
I am a final year student of ug in electronics and communication engineering from jerusalem college of engineering.... Joined this group after seeing that students getting help for their projects...
I am having a look at the topic underground water level detector for my project... I was thinking based on the idea of passing some waves and getting it reflected...
What other online activities these days should be taxed? Sound out in the comments! (and I might just create a Part 2 of this if I get too lazy!) And...