Why we Stopped Using Bulbs Even It Provides Almost Unity Power Factor ??

Why we Stopped Using Bulbs Even It Provides Almost Unity Power Factor Which Is Always desired??

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    We preferred all the colours of the light spectrum instead of a single monochromatic light from Bulbs

That i why we avoided them. Their power factor is super cool But the power consumed By them to produce the same intensity of light is super high You must be aware of that
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    Usually cfl bulb come with 15w or 30w power rating. And power factor of cfl is greater than 0.65. For 220v I(max current) of 30w is nearly 0.19A(using P=VIcos#) and that of simple bulb (60w) is 0.2727A. I(max) of 15w cfl is nearly 0.1A. Cfl also include 1500 to 3000 K resistance(I saw in website not quite sure)
    Therefore we use cfl.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Unity power factor is desirable for distribution systems. Efficient lighting (more luminosity/watt) is desirable for light source. Hence, move to CFL and now LED. Keep in mind PFC circuits can be used to maintain unity power factor rather than maintaining pure resistive loads in the circuit.
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    Anand Tamariya
    Unity power factor is desirable for distribution systems. Efficient lighting (more luminosity/watt) is desirable for light source. Hence, move to CFL and now LED. Keep in mind PFC circuits can be used to maintain unity power factor rather than maintaining pure resistive loads in the circuit.
    We Want Unity Power Factor everywhere...If U Are Using Appliances having Too Low Power factor Then You Will Be Penaltised By The Supplier
  • mallumatmari
    mallumatmari
    15w CFL will produce same light energy as 60w bulb.. 15w+penality will be less than energy consumed by 60w.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    naman2511
    We Want Unity Power Factor everywhere...If U Are Using Appliances having Too Low Power factor Then You Will Be Penaltised By The Supplier
    Valuable point As others have said the total power consumed by the CFL with all penalities is lesser than that of Light bulbs so we avoid them now

I am not wrong these power factor differences tend to unity for a household so the net power factor delivered to a house is always unity This is all thanks to 3 Phase supplies Where the loads are distributed efficiently

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

'Passwords' have continued to be the way we secure our computer systems, mobiles and tablets. There are several mechanisms that prevent password theft but those systems work mostly by capturing...
MIT's robotics lab is surely full of interesting robotics projects. The latest project, a 70 pound Cheetah robot developed at MIT is just as efficient as a real Cheetah in...
Its Possible to get power from single table fan?
Please tell some electrical business. I am waiting for your kind reply. Please send details as soon as possible.
Indian markets are flooded with budget phones and tablets. Every new day, I see a new company offering their phones - with almost the same hardware and software and a...