Why the name 'reflected' code given to Gray codes?

I mean what is 'reflected' in the gray code. I know that in the gray codes, the next or previous number changes only in one bit if compared with current number. I want the meaning of reflection here.

Replies

• nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    Gray Code is Unit distance,Cyclic and Reflective.For one variable gray code is simply 0 and 1
    ,for two variables gray code is 00,01,11,10,if we observe the any two consecutive numbers there should be only one bit is changing so gray code is unit distance.For writing gray code for 2 variables first write graycode for 1 varible ( i.e 0 and 1) in vertically
    (Step1)
    gray code is reflective means write the mirror image of the above one
    (Step2)
    gray code is cyclic means for the above first half numbers attach 0(Step3)
    and remaing half numbers attach 1 (Step4)
    then it will give gray code for 2 variables.
    in the above step 1,2,3 and 4 represent in red ,green,blue and Pink colors consecutively.
  • SheldonCooper
    SheldonCooper
    Thanks. Coloring is very descriptive.😀
  • Bindu Chitrachedu
    Bindu Chitrachedu

Thank you very much.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Incredible, mind boggling or simply beautiful! These pictures of the trillions of miles long "Pillars of Creation" taken by extraterrestrial telescopes are fascinating. https://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2...+wired/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))
The Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation aka KIIDC has taken an interesting initiative to promote entrepreneurship among students by setting up what's called a 'Startup Village'. It's India's first Public...
The 'Ghost' is an attack boat for coastal waters. Though very fast, it is said to have high maneuverability and deadly too. Powered by jet engines it can lift itself...
Trikke is a personal transporter. With three wheels balancing is easy unlike Segway. Cruising speed of 12 mph and 24 mile/charge range obviously limits its use to local personal transportation....
A new process for converting coal to liquid fuel seems to hold out a promise of doing well. https://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/18860/Cleaner-Cheaper-Liquid-Coal