Why separate front and rear brakes?

I have this long time question, in bikes, especially, why is there a provision for two separate brakes for front and rear? I also know that, if we come with a great speed and apply the front brake (in case, we are going front), there is 100% possibility to tumble. There's nothing wrong in applying both the brakes at the same time. Then why is there a separate provision for front and back? Can't it be a single brake system, which applies both the brakes at the same time? Is my question valid and logical?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Yes Praveen, your doubt is very much valid. 😀

The answer is very simple too. See let us say, that you have a single lever which applies brake to both front and rear wheels right? But while riding a bicycle, it would mean that you are applying full brakes even if you just want to slow bikes a little and not to stop it fully.

By dividing the brakes in both the wheels, we are actually giving the rider a chance to regulate brakes, in case he only want to reduce speed.

Got it? 😁
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Reducing speed in the sense? Can't it be done by applying both the brakes???
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    What if you only want to slow down your bicycle?

If you apply full braking system at once, the effect would be your speed will become zero. But if you apply a single brake the first effect would be slowing of speed, then stopping.

Many a times while riding a bike we only want speed reduction and not complete stopping of vehicle. 😀
    That's what I am asking, can't we make it slow by applying both the brakes simultaneously???
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    We can but it would reduce the speed so much so that you will eventually stop your bike instantly.

Just do a practical. Take your bike, and go for a ride. Try reducing speed using one brake at a time.

Again go for a ride, this time apply both brakes (i.e.; whole braking system) at once. You will feel the difference. You will get what I am trying to say. 😀
    Tried it but still, it can be achieved with both brakes... Yeah, but your logic convinces me... Thanks! 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HI everyone! Sorry for the late introduction😀 My name is Quan Nguyen. I'm currently in 4th year electrical nanotechnology engineering at university of Alberta😀. I find CE is a really...
hello everyone! Here's another question. does experience in an engineering firm while you're studying engineering necessary? does it effect your first jobs? what do employers look at for a first...
hello everyone i know that the USB stick works using electron tunneling and traps but i still can't picture it in my head how it works please explain! Thanks EEnano
dear sir,i am a metallurgical engineer and i am much interested in metallurgical engineering products(foundry,heat treatment of ferrous and non-ferrous alloys,shaping techniques and surface coatings and hardening techniques and material...
Apple has overtaken Google as the world's most valuable brand, ending a four-year reign by the internet search leader. The iPhone and iPad maker's brand is now worth $153 billion...