Why is the sky dark at night?

Because there is no Sun - is no good an answer. As a school going kid that kind of answer felt good to live by. But now, if you think the answer to this question is obvious, think again. The best minds of physics have studied this question for over a century, and the current answer may surprise you.

If you haven't read about it earlier, the world of science will help you understand why even though we have so many stars and galaxies all around us, we still have a pitch dark background across the sky at night.

Check out this 3-minute video -

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think the video is complicating the whole answer 😁. The sky is 'dark' in the night because there's nothing significant to scatter the light around, just like our atmosphere does. The objects that scatter the light are seen as the bright spots on the dark background; because they 'scatter' the light. I don't intend to challenge the logic presented in the video but I believe it's much complicated explanation.

...or am I just simplifying it too much?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Bro in reality only the atmosphere scatters If I am not wrong then by your answer there is no atmosphere at night

But I guess there is lesser intensity of Light falling into the earth's atmosphere at night and most of the incident light gets scattered out of the surface by the atmosphere and this makes an absence of light to reach the surface of the earth

The absence of light is black which makes the surroundings look darker at night
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    i studied that sun is static means it does not rotate but planet rotate on its axis and around sun ,at same time sun can not cover all part of earth.because of this in some part of earth there is day and other part enjoy dark.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    This was like my childhood biggest question why shadow are always black.
    simple explanation is if there is no light spectrum reflecting from that angle that will appear as black.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Olber's Paradox can answer this
    #-Link-Snipped-#

confusing confusing so very confusing !!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Troll_So_Hard
    Olber's Paradox can answer this
    #-Link-Snipped-#

confusing confusing so very confusing !!
    Worth considering two assumptions
    The Universe is expanding, so distant stars are red-shifted into obscurity.
                          +
    The Universe is young.  Distant light hasn't even reached us yet. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey..my name is parinbumia...i am an electrical engg. student from MSU,vadodara........actually..i have a deep interest in combining electronics and electrical.......so//......any help from all u members is always...welcomed......thnks...😀
I want to ask how the speed regulation is done in case of ceiling fans. Also, as how the speed of the fan changes on changing its capacitor, that is,...
In the last few days of getting the BSNL folks to setup the FTTH connections, I've been messing around with the fiber cables and have been amazed by the technology....
Chevrolet India launched two new products in a gap of 2 days the updated Cruze and Captiva. Chevrolet will launch its all new Sail hatchback and Sail sedan in India...
plz suggest me some good and easy topics for seminar related to computer technology.