Why flag is of 8-bit in the case of bit and byte oriented protocol ?

hello friend's,
Just have some read about about character and bit oriented protocol.I seen that flag is added to separate one frame from the next.But i didn't able to find the reason that why the flag is taken to be of 8-bit...?
Can any one tell me the reason....?

Replies

• alicwilliam
    alicwilliam
    it depends on your application
  • Leo
    Leo
    Sorry William i doesn't depend on application,
    The the 8 bit flag is set to tackle problem of variable size framing. As we know a frame in data link layer may consists of header+trailer along with information about payload, error correction, detection and redundant bits. And they all are in multiple of 8 bits. So it might happen that payload may get mis-undertaken as any other data if matching bits are found so to separate each frame 8 extra bits are flagged on either sides of frame to differentiate it from other frames. A flag consists of start or end of frame and some other details. I hope that was easy explanation.
    Guys specially from Networking field please correct if something went wrong.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yes.. Not only flags, but most of the fields in many protocols, like payload length, time to live etc.. are made as 8 bits or a multiple of 8 bits, so that the total no. of bits will be a multiple of 8.
    In some protocols, if the payload length is not a multiple of 8, then zeroes are padded to the end to make it a multiple of 8, for the same reason.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been using BSNL 3G model for over 2 weeks now and pretty happy with the speed. The biggest issue however is that the modem goes idle after about 2...
May I know that how to convert the rack and pinion (with ratchet) horizontal motion to vertical lifting a human weight by adding some mechanism,structure or linkage? And is it...
It looks like lot of publishers are facing issues with the adsense advertisements not being displayed in the emails sent to subscribers through Feedburner. Google's moderators have commented that the...
Looks like there's a serious issue with Google apps. The users are being presented with the 'Google Apps Error: Invalid page request' upon trying to login to Google Apps. Earlier,...
Tech hiring to hit record highs CHENNAI: With campus recruitments by technology companies only weeks away, early indicators suggest this year recruitments may touch a historic high, as top Indian...