Why excitation provided to alternator is DC?

hello everyone i hav a question.... why excitation provided to alternator is dc? why not ac?

Replies

• s.avinashreddy
    s.avinashreddy
    In order to induce the voltage as per the Faradays Law we require field. So we are providing it with the DC supply and since rotor of the alternator is rotating then EMF is induced.

We have to notice here that since the rotor is rotating, field is also rotating and hence there is rate of change of flux. You can also use a.c supply but if we use since EMF produced is rotating and rotor is also rotating rate of change of flux linkages is less than former one and so its not a efficient one.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    s.avinashreddy
    IN ORDER TO INDUCE THE VOLTAGE AS PER THE FARADAYS LAW WE RECQUIRE FIELD SO WE ARE PROVIDING IT WITH THE DC SUPPLY AND SINCE ROTOR OF THE ALTERNATOR IS ROTATING THEN EMF IS INDUCED.WE HAVE TO NOTICE HERE THAT SINCE THE ROTOR IS ROTATING FIELD IS ALSO ROTATING AND HENCE THERE IS RATE OF CHANGE OF FLUX.YOU CAN ALSO USE A.C SUPPLY BUT IF WE USE SINCE EMF PRODUCED IS ROTATING AND ROTOR IS ALSO ROTATING RATE OF CHANGE OF FLUX LINKAGES IS LESS THAN FORMER ONE AND SO ITS NOT A EFFICIENT ONE.
    [​IMG]
  • varun191singh
    varun191singh
    because the field poles of alternator will get magnetize in one direction only by using dc. if we use ac instead first it will magnetize then demagnetize amounting for huge hysteresis loss
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    KARAD123
    hello everyone i hav a question.... why excitation provided to alternator is dc? why not ac?
    we cant provide ac...look..providing ac means varyinf flux...
    phi=phi(max) sinwt...here phi is varying ony due to revolving field (sinwt)...but now if u apply ac excitation, then phi will vary due to 2 varying components ie., phi(max) {phi(max) starts varying due to ac excitation} and already present sinwt...which produce vibrations in rotor..this may lead to unbalancing or even rotor may touch the stator..which is absolutely undesirable...so always dc excitation is provided.. 😀
  • Naman Agarwal
    Naman Agarwal
    Suppose you have applied a ac supply to an alternator field. Now during first half cycle, rotor will try to rotate in one direction. Now when the second half cycle comes into picture, then rotor will try to rotate in oppsite direction. Due to its heavy mass, rotor wont rotate in any direction rather it vibrates at its mean position. That's why dc is applied in its field winding.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've often wondered why is project topic selection such a tough thing? A huge number of engineering students come to CE seeking project ideas. Aren't ideas all around us? Improving...
Ive heard that there is a new IC in the market that converts 230V A.C. to D.C. directly. it has all the components built in. has anybody heard of this?...
"need again" keep it up......
My name is Muhammad taha .. I'm an mechanical engineering student in cairo university.It' my first year as a mecahnical engineering student so anyone that has any advice for me...
Hello CEans, I am currently placed in TCS,completed the training and am on TCS bench right now. As my training was done in JAVA testing , i have been told...