Why don't IT companies use Chrome or Firefox?

I think we've had a brief discussion about this a long time ago, but the question continues to bother my mind. Why do IT companies (especially those in India) don't allow their employees to use modern web browsers like Chrome or Firefox? Most of the IT companies are still stuck with IE 6 and IE 7. Those who've upgraded are on IE 8 or 9. But it's almost disturbing that employees aren't allowed to use modern browsers.

As far as I know - it should be perfectly fine to use these browsers and the license does permit it (correct me if it's wrong). Why so much of reluctance then?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is ridiculous and business perceptive excuse :
    You came to office to work not to have user experience.
    if one browser is already inbuilt provided to you to do search and other stuff why should you use Firefox and Chrome.

Any new software they are going to install for you, they have to spend resources on them and manage them.Also in such companies employee don't have any permission to change system configuration.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    The biggest reason is that Most offices use an integrated Microsoft Office plan. The corporate version. They get their OS versions, Office modules, other software utilities, Servers and everything in a complete package of Microsoft Products. Also they use Exchange Server. This is very crucial from the point of view of their sync of documents on servers as well as within the staff network. For this, IE can be integrated into the Exchange Server since the client is also running a package genuine registered OS. This helps in monitoring their work, traffic, net usage along with their bandwidth allocation. Plus, any other browser may fail due to xyz reasons (error in installation/ missing modules etc etc. ) IE won't. If this sacrifices the modernness of job, they prefer to skip it.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I accept the big k question but why do you want a secondary browser if you have an inbuilt browser in your pc.
    courtesy:inoop

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This may seem stupid that I have this query. I see people around me talk about .mkv format ruling whereas .mp4 getting out run. I have seen videos in both...
After the couple of weeks full of speculations and rants about the teasers, LG has launched its brand new smartphone called the LG G2. At a release event in New...
I had a chance to stumble on commerce India and found that India's major import accounts for petroleum and it costs more than 150billion .India majorly import from UAE ,...
This article is mostly common sense. Being put up just in case: Skills 101 – How to detail your car’s interior
Screwed mkdir by just logging as root and then typed rmdir mkdir. Not able to create any new directory, right, but how to restore it back in /bin? Is there...