Why does moon look white?

hi guys, ever wondered why the moon looks white , sometimes it glows with yellow too.
Answers welcome..

Replies

• maria flor
    maria flor
    Re: abt the moon

The moon looks white/gray-ish because of the sun..the reflection from the sun lights the moon up. The color of the moon depends how clear our atmosphere or the angle it is viewed from the earth.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    Re: abt the moon

maria flor
    The moon looks white/gray-ish because of the sun..the reflection from the sun lights the moon up. The color of the moon depends how clear our atmosphere or the angle it is vied from the earth.
    +1

short and precise answer ๐Ÿ˜€
  • dinsh.mintu
    dinsh.mintu
    its based upon the eye v look. Not only dat, it depends on the amount of energy it consumes from sun..๐Ÿ˜
  • sarah_joy
    sarah_joy
    moon's light comes from the light reflected by the sun that is why its color varies. The amount of light reflected by the sun to the moon isn't always equal because the moon rotates.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    @sarah: you missed a point here moon rotates but moon is not on beside of earth
    not only moon all the planets and the entire solar system are not on exact beside of sun
    i don't remember exact name of that shape almost top of the sun but they are maintained because of the suns gravity on planets
    same theory applies to moon
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    well, moon revolves around the earth. It doesn't rotate.. There's a difference, you see..

so, as it's said above, color of the moon depends on the atmospheric conditions and the amount of light being reflected from the sun. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kelly Stuart
    Kelly Stuart
    But gravitation may lead to babies........
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    @silverscorpion:- moon do rotate also......................................
  • just_Ritu
    just_Ritu
    dinsh.mintu
    its based upon the eye v look. Not only dat, it depends on the amount of energy it consumes from sun..๐Ÿ˜
    It doesn't consume any energy. It simply reflects the light which falls on it from the sun.๐Ÿ˜€
  • just_Ritu
    just_Ritu
    silverscorpion
    well, moon revolves around the earth. It doesn't rotate.. There's a difference, you see..

so, as it's said above, color of the moon depends on the atmospheric conditions and the amount of light being reflected from the sun. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Well, to inform you. Moon rotates as well as revolves. It rotates and revolves with the same speed i.e. it takes equal amount of time to rotate about itself and make one revolution around the earth. This is the reason, why only one side of the moon is visible on the earth. The other side is always away from the earth and hence not visible.๐Ÿ˜€
  • just_Ritu
    just_Ritu
    As for the colour change, it depends on a variety of factors like the amount of light being reflected, the angle of reflection, the humidity of the atmosphere on Earth, the amount of light being received on Earth, etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In my school days, I was taught about the lasers and their medical and industrial applications. Then later on I actually studied how do lasers work and what they literally...
RTMNU B.E 5th sem results on tuesday. Can't wait. All Nagpur University students, please check here!...๐Ÿ˜’
hi to all. i need a help about my project on message display through led's. i have gone through various circuits but the thing is we have been instructed not...
1.He founded his company to transport supporters between different cities in UK.Who is that in the picture??Which company is that?? 2.Deriving his name fron "Zingiber",this term has been in technological...
Thanks to CEan ishutopre, we got a scanned copy of GATE 2011 Questions for Mechanical Engineering students. Feel free to discuss answers to all these questions.