Why Do We Trust Advertisements?

I've beginning to pay attention to the advertisements lately and found that 100% of the advertisements on the TV are fake & misguiding! Without making a bold statement. Tell me one human who's changed his/her skin color by using Fair & Lovely? But the advertisements are basically meant to first scare you and then offer you a solution.

One recent advertisement really pissed me off - that you need Complan to make the calcium in Milk absorb in your body. ๐Ÿ˜• If that was true; everyone would have calcium deficiency in the world pre-complan days!

Do we trust advertisements because we have no time to think about them?

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I think now a days people changed their mentality even well educated people and even they knows that fairness cream is not going to change their skin although they are using. ๐Ÿ˜•
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    It is better to go for reviews from your friends and relatives OR search online. There are several review sites which can also help a lot. Ads are known to be saying more than the actual fact so never believe on it.
  • lal
    lal
    I remember reading a news about a guy who gave complaint to consumer court against 'axe' (body deodorant).
    He complained that, even though he follows all the 'how to use' instructions, he is not able to attract any girls as in the ad. He said, he even used a ruler to keep the bottle 15 cms away from from his body before spraying it as mentioned in the instructions ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    pst.. if fairness creams worked.. they would have run out of business by now ๐Ÿ˜›(everyone might have already got fair).
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Everything is FAIR'n lovely war. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Advertisements!
    Take it with a pinch of salt ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Are any of your purchasing decisions influenced by the advertisements?
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    The_Big_K
    Nope, I go by my gut instinct. ๐Ÿ˜

I think only after using some brand / product for a certain time, say a week or two, can we decide for ourselves whether to continue using the product or to drop it.
    Like one of my friends was looking for a particular shampoo to suit her hair, she tried out a few of the brands available in the market for sometime; and finally landed up with one that best suited her hair.

So yeah, trial and error helps. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    Fortunately for me, I do not weatch TV. I buy what I want. Occasionally I experiment if I see a new product on the shelf and buy it after reading all the label info.
    As they say proof of the pudding is in eating it. Recently saw a new chocolate bar from the middle east. At Rs.5 not much of a loss. So tried it. Later visited the company site for more info. Now it is a regular item on the grocery list.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well advertisements sometimes tell a great deal of information about a thing, not necessarily promoting a product. Try to summarize the thoughts after watching this 32 sec Intel advert ๐Ÿ˜€

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The_Big_K
    Do we trust advertisements because we have no time to think about them?
    Who said we trust the advertisements??

It's like a nice time pass.. Earlier, during my school and college days, I would be really pissed off when any program I was watching was interrupted by ads.
    Now, since I dont do much of TV watching, in the short time that I do watch TV, I'll watch anything in it, even if it were ads.
    And I'm not deciding on any products based on these ads.

And once in a while, there comes an ad that I enjoy very much that I dont mind watching TV for watching that ad alone.
    There are many such ads... The first one I could remember was

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    That's my favorite advertisement too ๐Ÿ˜

Advertisements make us believe things which aren't in our interest. Soaps, for example make us believe that they clean our bodies and are good for us. We need BOOST and COMPLAN to grow faster, stronger and sharper and so on.

It's bad.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Issue
    Well advertisements sometimes tell a great deal of information about a thing, not necessarily promoting a product. Try to summarize the thoughts after watching this 32 sec Intel advert ๐Ÿ˜€

Still makes us believe that Intel is a 'different' company.

By the way; there are ads that spread a message. But that's just < 1% !
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update. As if things were not bad enough already , new research findings paint a bleak picture of aersol sprays.
    Hair sprays for the 'Fair and Lovely', deodorant sprays for the 'Fair and Handsome' may be lurking killers.
    Should we axe the Axe?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    An update. As if things were not bad enough already , new research findings paint a bleak picture of aersol sprays.
    Hair sprays for the 'Fair and Lovely', deodorant sprays for the 'Fair and Handsome' may be lurking killers.
    Should we axe the Axe?
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    If Scientists and Engineers created advertisements instead of marketing people, may be we would have some hopes.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    AbraKaDabra
    If Scientists and Engineers created advertisements instead of marketing people, may be we would have some hopes.
    It does not matter who is doing the advertisement. The purpose of an advertisement is to make a product tempting by hammer a same thing on the minds of potential customers.

You are definitely not going to say, our product contains 1gm of Arsenic or 2 mg of KCN even if you are an engineer. Instead businesses should strive for making products which really have some value.

It is for the same reason that many respect Pendharkar uncle for Vicco. ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What skills and endurance this girl has! Stunning.
Anuttara 12 is a Technical Fest organized by Narasu's Sarathy Institute of Technology, Salem. 'Anuttara' means the ultimate in Sanskrit. At Narasu's Sarathy Institute of Technology 'Anuttara' is the ultimate...
plz tel me some final year projects which r easy n has new technology
TechYard is a Technical Festival organized by Wainganga College of Engineering and Management, Nagpur. Wainganga College of Engineering and Management successfully organized a two day National Event TechYard 11. This...
Hey guys it is difficult to gain good practical knowledge of the manufacturing processes like lathe machining through books. So guys here is the link for downloading video of manufacturing...