Why Battery Re-charging Takes So Long ?

We know that, only domain why we hate smartphones is Short battery. Batteries drains out in no time in smartphones.
I wonder, why does it take too long to re-charge the battery ?
What's the process going on internally which is reason behind slow recharging of battery ?
Isn't it possible to tweak internal of battery & make it charge the battery in <30 seconds ?

Do answer my first two questions & in last question, share the idea.
Who knows we CEans might develop the everlasting battery for smartphones which can recharge in less than 30 seconds ?

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    As far as I remember there was a news about an Indian origin girl claiming that she could charge a phone battery pretty fast. Try to Google it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Pensu
    As far as I remember there was a news about an Indian origin girl claiming that she could charge a phone battery pretty fast. Try to Google it.
    You mean this ? Charge your Phone In 20 Seconds Using Super-Capacitors.

Well she can charge it for illuminating LEDs only at this moment.
    Still no development for smartphone battery charging in under 30 seconds ๐Ÿ˜€

Again,My questions : I wonder, why does it take too long to re-charge the battery ?
    What's the process going on internally which is reason behind slow recharging of battery ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I wonder, why does it take too long to re-charge the battery ?
    Because recharging is a chemical process. Speeding up may cause other unwanted reactions, which will irreparably damage the battery.

In rechargeable batteries the reaction is reversible. During discharge the forward reaction takes place. The products of the reaction have a lesser energy. The difference appears as the usable current. During charging the energy of reaction is supplied to the reaction products produced during discharge. These absorb the energy and go back to the pre discharge high energy state and can deliver power again. However, chemistry being what it is any attempt to supply energy faster (meaning using a higher recharge voltage can trigger other unwanted reactions like gas generation) also to happen. This is counterproductive and can even be hazardous.

A super capacitor on the other hand is not a battery. It does not store energy as chemical energy. It stores the electric charge as such. So it can be charged at very much faster rates. These will become future sources.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    A.V.Ramani
    Speeding up may cause other unwanted reactions, which will irreparably damage the battery.
    What are the unwanted reactions ? I would like to know that unwanted reaction's details ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Abhishek Rawal
    What are the unwanted reactions ? I would like to know that unwanted reaction's details ๐Ÿ˜€
    The only way to speed up a chemical reaction is to add a catalyst - but then the reaction is no more reversible.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Every chemical reaction is associated with an energy difference. In electro chemical cells this translates to a voltage difference. To charge faster higher voltage is applied. If there is a reaction that is associated with this voltage, then that also will take place. Not only this interferes with the normal charging process, it also leads to unwanted reaction products like gases are also generated that damage the battery.
    For example, in a lead acid battery sulphate formation can (ad does) happen leading to loss of capacity and eventual failure.
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    As far as the battery is concerned which depends on chemical reactions for running devices will require long but reasonable time for recharging since the chemical reaction is involved in recharging the same way when discharging. It is the process of ion deposition in the form of chemical compounds (different for different types of batteries) on electrodes which takes its time. Instant charging effort by providing high voltage will result into unsafe operation probably because heat generation is associated with most recharging process, moreover there may be possibility of breakdown of the electrolyte which makes the battery. Instant charging (almost <30 secs could be instant) is possible with capacitors but the size of the capacitors to hold the charge long enough for continually fed device like smartphones, will be very large. Electrolytic capacitors so far have successfully been made in small sizes with high capacity storage (The MF indicates the capacity) but still not enough to run the device like smartphone. But this would happen one day, that is for sure!!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update on supercapacitors that encroach on Lead-Acid batteries in capacity:
    Simple technique puts graphene capacitors on par with lead-acid battery | Ars Technica
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    Thanks Mr. Ramani for adding this knowledge to the forum. The research really holds the promise for capacitor based batteries with very low charging time.
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    Recently i heard a good about short time recharge battery it will take couple of minutes for recharge ur battery. American/ Chinese girl Invents this technology. thanks
    Engineer
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ahsanul haque
    Recently i heard a good about short time recharge battery it will take couple of minutes for recharge ur battery. American/ Chinese girl Invents this technology. thanks
    Engineer
    This was covered in Voice about a while back
    Indian-US Girl Creates Supercapacitor To Charge Your Phone In < 20 Seconds
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    Conqueror
    This was covered in Voice about a while back
    Indian-US Girl Creates Supercapacitor To Charge Your Phone In < 20 Seconds
    Thanks yeah she is.....
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Ahsanul haque
    Thanks yeah she is.....
    An Indian Not American/ Chinese
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    ๐ŸŽ‰
  • Ahsanul haque
    Ahsanul haque
    yes ๐Ÿ˜€ now. i share some news about Indian scientist, i believe that she will get Nobel prize soon.
    she has creativity and pure skill.
    18-Year-Old Invents 30-Second Phone Charger | TIME.com
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wondering if CEans can post programming related questions or challenges so that other CEans can work on them and everyone benefits by upgrading their programming skills? I don't have a...
Hi friends, I have two different questions. โ€‹1. I search information about development new automation systems, not regular development that develop a new algorithm or new control method or search...
hi friends... can you guide me the procedure for home made induction motor
Think innovation is hard? Well, it's just about finding simplest technical solutions to the most generic problems people face. With mobiles having invaded our lives, what could be a better...
A train speeding at 1000 kmpH inside a tube sounds an exciting engineering exercise. A tad claustrophobic perhaps. Even if technologically feasible, will it be a commercial success? It may...