Why always MVA rating in electric machines?

Dear All CE's,

Please tell me why major electrical devices such as transformer, motor and generators, and also other electrical machines are rated in MVA not in MW.

Reply soon...

Regards

Vibhor Mittal

Replies

• chirag_kotadia
    chirag_kotadia
    Re: Why always MVA rating in elect. machines?

VA rating is the one that is indicating the complex power which contains reactive power and active power. Watt rating neglects the power factor between current and voltage while VA rating account this. Hope u r clear.
  • cranky
    cranky
    chirag_kotadia
    VA rating is the one that is indicating the complex power which contains reactive power and active power. Watt rating neglects the power factor between current and voltage while VA rating account this. Hope u r clear.
    Like chirag mentioned VA refers to Volt amperes rating and W refers to watt.But I guess you mentioned it incorrectly.Watt takes into account of powerfactor.We have W=VA * (power factor)

Since the load may vary and hence the power factor(if resistive,more power factor and inductive,the otherwise) it becomes difficult to rate since power becomes dependent on load which is not what we wan't to denote.Hence,VA is preferred.

Also,The electricity boards insist on keeping power factor high.
  • vishu445
    vishu445
    adding to cranky, VAR stands for volt ampere reactive which is the measure of the apparent power. This power just fluctuates between the conductors and has no effect on the load. Also it earns no revenue.
  • vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    can you tell me something more var?
  • cranky
    cranky
    Even i would like to know..Var is Apparent power..mathematically equal to VIsin@
  • vishu445
    vishu445
    Apparent Power is measured in terms of VAR. It will more clearer to visualize VAR on Power Loci Transmission Line. For example, consider the power circle diagram of sending end. The two coordinate axes are of MW(real power) and MVAR(apparent power). From here we can can conclude all the transmission parameters vary in terms of both real and apparent power. Also remember the fact that effects of apparent power are confined to transmission and has no effect on load.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I jave compleated my CCNA course and want to further enhance my career in networking field. Can someone provide me imformation about what further courses i can do? I...
Here's a simple formula for calculating efficiency of a VFD based HVAC system as compared to other forms of HVAC volume control, or no control (cv). 1. convert motor HP...
Hi guys..! I want to know the internal process that will be done during the chatting in any messenger (yahoo or gtalk or reddif) ? Suppose I am online, and...
Can anyone tell me What is the role of JRE and JVM in Java? And what is the difference between those two?