why a software is open source?

A open source software is one which can be used by anyone without paying anything

right???there are many open source software in market like fire-fox ,mysql ,linux etc

but why companies make their software open source ?what are the reasons behind this?

what they earn?what they get?Is this a strategy to make their product famous?

Replies

• gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    A open source software is one which can be used by anyone without paying anything
    right???
    The software which are available for free is called freeware. The 'free' in open source philosophy refers to freedom, not money. Open source software may not be always available for free, but almost all cost no money.

Maybe the main objective behind making a software open source is that users can modify it's code and use it as they want. Open-source software is developed by a community (eg. Linux), more people are involved in its development, and many people come with great ideas and tweaks.

How open source software companies earn? If we look at Google, they have other business (contextual advertising) from where the money comes. Mozilla Corporation gets money from donations, Google (as a default search engine), etc. Canonical (developers of Ubuntu) derives money from their merchandises like T-shirts, or CDs.

Good products always get famous!
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Mozilla Corporation gets money from donations
    Donations???
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Yeah, people can #-Link-Snipped-# to support Mozilla foundation. They also have a store where we can buy Tees and other cool stuff, like we have the CE store.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good response, Gaurav 😀 ; let me extend this further.

Open Source means the source is open for all to modify and customize as per individual/group needs. Open Source contributors are talented people around the world who just want to do stuff to show their skills and make things available free of cost. Most of the open source contributors do not earn any money out of their hard-work. Its all for the community.

Firefox has a deal with Google. When you use Firefox's search box (embedded in the browser) and then find relevant advertisement links; Google gives a share of its revenues to Firefox. Because Firefox is SO HUGE (over 450 million users); the revenues that Mozilla Corporation (company behind Firefox) makes is significant.

There are tons of open source projects available to which you can contribute to. I believe every Computer Engineers should contribute to at least one project. In face, we may start one open source project here on CE as well.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks a ton sir

You have all my doubts regarding this

one more question not related to this topic

Is advertisement the only way of earning money through internet?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    good question goyal.
    we hear from our childhood that google ,yahoo and microsoft is the biggest company in computer world.
    and the only earning source of these companies are advertisement.
    can any one tell me how many $ google take for a shorter advertisement.
    i know microsoft also create software's but who buy these software's.
    so what are the earning source of these companies.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    goyal420
    Is advertisement the only way of earning money through internet?
    mohit007kumar00
    good question goyal.
    we hear from our childhood that google ,yahoo and microsoft is the biggest company in computer world.
    and the only earning source of these companies are advertisement.
    No not at all. It's true that 90% of all Google's revenue comes from advertising, but they have other businesses too, like Google Apps. Microsoft isn't really into advertising, all they sell is Windows and Office products.

mohit007kumar00
    can any one tell me how many $ google take for a shorter advertisement.
    I think Google doesn't tell its users about how much amount they pay of each click (on their advertisement).

mohit007kumar00
    i know microsoft also create software's but who buy these software's.
    so what are the earning source of these companies.
    We buy these softwares. Although piracy has been on a rise, there are many people who buy only genuine products, and there are lots of such users.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    nice point big_k. One idea of open source is to hire free developers from allover world, and such a way the product is enhanced further by at cost of zero $$$. Even there is a possibility to commercialize that product after editing and also it depends on license.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As far as i know we can store only data in any database can anyone explain me how you tube stores videos? If i want to create a website that...
i need to do 6 month internship in the 7th semester ,according to our college curriculum....i am pursuing Btech(cs).i have not yet got any internship,so i am planning to go...
..my friend posted me this saying it's easy . i found it tricky X( donnot google and tell the answer. Please note that there are multiple solutions to this puzzle....
I'm a regular reader of VoiCE. 😎 How about a "Subscribe" button in the sidebar? I think one must be able to easily subscribe the blog in a popular reader...
Bansal Classes : Bansal Classes Pvt. Ltd Resonance Classes: IIT JEE Coaching India, IIT Coaching Kota, IIT JEE Preparation - Resonance India Career Point: Career Point : India's Leading institute...