Which laptop is good to buy?

Hi, iam planning to buy a laptop later this month, iam not able to decide to go for dell/lenovo/ mac book pro..... Could someone suggest me?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I think it depends on your needs. Every laptop has its specialities, isn't it? I have seen many of my friends buy DELL, the reason being it is cheaper that mac book pro.
  • gautam.kolluru
    gautam.kolluru
    @Ishan, yes as u said it depends on needs but i want a comparision on the grounds of hardware reliability. I.e heat produced by the processor, battery capacity, etc...
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    ishutopre
    I think it depends on your needs. Every laptop has its specialities, isn't it? I have seen many of my friends buy DELL, the reason being it is cheaper that mac book pro.
    lol.. all laptop equivalents are cheaper than mac book pro so you really can't make it a reason here πŸ˜›
    Ask people why you bought Dell and they say its very good. You ask why it is good and they are unable to justify their statement!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    hehe OK Opti. πŸ˜› But can we now distinguish between DELL, and LENOVO and macbook depending upon the features?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think you should prefer dell, they make good products and i like them because of their customer care service.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    nicepeeyush
    I think you should prefer dell, they make good products and i like them because of their customer care service.
    haha.. let me tell u an incident quickly.
    My room mate in hostel bought Dell and it had Vista home premium installed on it. He wanted to install XP so he tried formatting his disk and installing XP using his xp cd. He could not do so 'cos the computer was unable to detect the hard disk😲

He called Dell's famed customer care and they didn't have any solution for it! Instead they suggested him to use Vista 'cos XP was old and his laptop was made for the newer systems! πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

Next day he called again and they said the laptop came with Vista and they wont be in a position to help him with windows XP 'cos they are responsible only for Vista which came with that laptop. (this reason is given by almost every brands' customer care 😑 )

To tell u, almost all laptops come with TOS where they state they are not responsible for any third party software that comes with their computers. That they are responsible only for their own software and hardware issues.

The issue this guy had was with the BIOS(hardware related) which was essentially customised/designed by DELL for their laptops so they really were responsible for it even though they refused.

It was later that he came to me after their customer care couldn't solve his problem and told me all this . It really was a matter of less than 2 mins and his problem got solved.

P.S: do not try calling them and asking this question as they have learnt the solution already some time ago. The incident I told u about took place 3 years ago.

Though of course, there's no such things as best and every brand has its own good and bad points. Ill point out whatever I know about them. Am bit busy with some work. Ill come up with the post tomorrow.

Waiting to see other people give their reviews about the product. I could learn something from them as well. πŸ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    I had the same issue like your friend. when i tried installing windows xp in my dell inspiron 1464 i came to know that my laptop is not compatible with xp.

If i had known before that my lappy is not compatible with xp i would not have bought it πŸ˜” πŸ˜”
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    praveena211
    I had the same issue like your friend. when i tried installing windows xp in my dell inspiron 1464 i came to know that my laptop is not compatible with xp.

If i had known before that my lappy is not compatible with xp i would not have bought it πŸ˜” πŸ˜”
    There is no such thing as that! Laptop is made up of basic hardware stuff. No where does it have written that it is incompatible to Windows XP. Its a problem with the newer laptops that come with sata drives. The ones with pata drives wont get that problem. For those with sata drives, before installing Xp, you are required to go to the BIOS settings and change your mode from SATA to native or whatever other name they have given it. Different brands may have different names. U need to change it to the one other than SATA mode. Then try and boot up with XP cd and it will work. It took those technicians time to learn that. Dell should be training their technicians harder I believe πŸ˜›
  • complearner
    complearner
    Here is my review , may this help:

First of all ,to talk about processors,most laptops use same intel processors,amd or nvidia graphics.

Sony laptops- Good in graphics than others,design.Keyboard is more better than others,good camera quality. Very Low sound without headphone,Less battery backup,Delicate to handle.

HP Laptops- Good graphics, good design,good battery backup,good sound,best for rough use,rough and tough. Battery heating problem.

Dell Laptops: cheaper,can make your own custom design,normal graphics, good battery,good service in case of warranty. Having problem with hardware,dvd drive,also not reads small size disks,some cases of motherboard problems.
  • Kavitha N
    Kavitha N
    Hi Friends,

Currently i am working in development side. would like to move to testing side? need your inputs? is my decision correct? how the testing will be ? will it be more pressure? how career growth? how skill i needs to be developed to move into testing..
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    @opty: Hehe.....funny incident. Actually i prefer Dell, because of their on site warranty. In the starting first year no matter what problem you they will come to you and solve your problem. In my hostel i see almost everyday a Dell executive is sitting there. And they even change the parts without much hustle. I myself got my charger changed twice, my screen once and my mother board once that too on just one phone call. I think this type of service is hard to match.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Dude, try Dell XPS Series. They are a set of awesome things with lowest price... πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Dell XPS sure is awesome if you have a budget of Rs45000. Inspiron 14R is available at Rs34500 onwards. I personally own a DELL Inspiron 1525. It's been 3 years now, and i've even slept on it, dropped it down, broke the DVD Driver (by pulling it outπŸ˜›), but still it works fine. My DELL is Made in Poland and is quite agile.

But i would strongly suggest to buy a 14 inch laptop if you are a regular traveller. Also, a 320 GB harddrive is modest, with 4GB DDR3 RAM and the NVIDIA graphics card. DELL provides ATI Radon for the Inspiron 14R and NVIDIA for the XPS series. Now-a-days, the online Dell Booking is Cheaper with 1 Year Accidental Coverage. My friend also got his motherboard changed at our college hostel and all it took him was a small phone call and a week of waiting.

If you are willing to try, check out the Toshiba Satellite Pro series laptops which you'll get at approx. Rs35000. The Toshiba Laptops are always known for their well build body and are very strong and suitable for rough usage. Also, the Toshiba Customer Services in India are upcoming with new shops coming up all over Southern India.

Sony Vaio is stylish and cool, but its not that strong.

Recently heard that Lenovo has diminished after IBM sold it to a Chinese Company.
  • gautam.kolluru
    gautam.kolluru
    I feel, sometimes more information leads to more confusion!!! πŸ˜‰ 😁
  • gautam.kolluru
    gautam.kolluru
    Hi kavitha,
    I would like to know why do u want change from development side? N why do u want go for testing?
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    @Kavitha: Do you know what? Development is actually easier as, you need to know only about the things you are developing. In case of testing, you need to understand even the business scenario, where it is used! 😲 And moreover, testers should be perfectly scrutinized and salary will be lesser than developers. So think twice before shifting. 😐
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Discussion going in wrong direction. It is about which laptop is good to buy.
    @ Kavita: Please post your question in different thread in career section so that you get more responses from people.
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    you might be right. currently i'm using my third laptop(DELL) after using hcl and lenova. to say simply i hated HCL and i struggled with Lenova(heating and battery prob's) now easing with DELL.
    atf
    Dell XPS sure is awesome if you have a budget of Rs45000. Inspiron 14R is available at Rs34500 onwards. I personally own a DELL Inspiron 1525. It's been 3 years now, and i've even slept on it, dropped it down, broke the DVD Driver (by pulling it outπŸ˜›), but still it works fine. My DELL is Made in Poland and is quite agile.

But i would strongly suggest to buy a 14 inch laptop if you are a regular traveller. Also, a 320 GB harddrive is modest, with 4GB DDR3 RAM and the NVIDIA graphics card. DELL provides ATI Radon for the Inspiron 14R and NVIDIA for the XPS series. Now-a-days, the online Dell Booking is Cheaper with 1 Year Accidental Coverage. My friend also got his motherboard changed at our college hostel and all it took him was a small phone call and a week of waiting.

If you are willing to try, check out the Toshiba Satellite Pro series laptops which you'll get at approx. Rs35000. The Toshiba Laptops are always known for their well build body and are very strong and suitable for rough usage. Also, the Toshiba Customer Services in India are upcoming with new shops coming up all over Southern India.

Sony Vaio is stylish and cool, but its not that strong.

Recently heard that Lenovo has diminished after IBM sold it to a Chinese Company.
  • gautam.kolluru
    gautam.kolluru
    Guyz,
    Iam looking for comparision between dell& apple..... The reason is that dell being better among laptops of its range and apple being more expensive with lesser configuration compared to laptops of dell range....
    I hear that apple uses much superior quality hardware..... Is that really so? If yes, then how? Apple mac book pro of 13inch with dual core- core i5 intel processors using sata harddisks Costs Rs69k n dell with intel core i7 2630 processor, 640gb sata hdd & 6gb ram costs around Rs50k.... Why?
  • rockylover
    rockylover
    i would personally go for hp envy 14 / dell xps 15z (slim yet powerful) or the apple macbook pro 13" 70000 rupees model
  • gautam.kolluru
    gautam.kolluru
    @rockylover, thankyou for the suggestion, could u plz explain why do u opt them leaving the price constraint. To be specific, in terms of performance, hardware/software reliability, service facility, etc...
  • TheV
    TheV
    I will Suggest you to buy HP .. b'cos it tough ... go customer service.. durable..battery life is good.. I am using HP for last 3 yr and no problem with it...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, Here is the current GATE syllabus for GATE mechanical engineering. I will try to bring out syllabus for other branches too. General Aptitude (GA) Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence...
I have been thinking constantly about this topic for a few monts. And I am sure most of you must have thought about it once in a lifetime. Can we...
Hello CEans! I am a 2nd year(3rd semester) student in the CSE department at NIT(National Institute of Technology). I am very confused about some learning topics. My current technical knowledge...
Hi everyone, am new here and also in electrical/electronics field. I hav the dis strong desire in designing electronic hardware and also networking but i rily don't kw where 2...
can any one suggests me a innovative project on concrete plz,its very urjent...