Which element of series equal to zero

Sir / Madam,
My questions is,

The sum of 3rd and 15th elements of an arithmetic progression is equal to the sum of 6th, 11th and 13th elements of the same progression. Then which element of the series should necessarily be equal to zero?

Advance Thanks,
R.Rengaraj
{InfosysTrain-Q103 Pg26}

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Is it the 12th element?
  • rengaraj
    rengaraj
    Sir,
    Can you explain your answer?
    R.Rengaraj
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I solved it in this way..

a+2d+a+14d = a+5d+a+10d+a+12d
    2a+16d = 3a+27d

on solving it gives a+11d = 0

This it 12th element!
  • rengaraj
    rengaraj
    Sir,
    Your answer matches with the available choices.
    R.Rengaraj
  • sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    lets the first term of ap is a and difference is d
    then third term will be =a+2d
    15th will be=a+14d
    6th will be =a+5d
    11th will be =a+10d
    13th will be=a+12d
    then the equation will be as
    a+2d+a+14d = a+5d+a+10d+a+12d
    2a+16d = 3a+27d
    a+11d=0
    simply we can understand a+11d will be the 12th term of arithmetic progression
    so the correct answer is 12

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Couple of days back, I have posted a thread "arrival of mini ice age", and we had discussion that the temparature of earth is going in upward or downward direction?...
Recently I received an e-mail from one of my friend stating a few facts about the vastly discussed movie '3 idiots', these are a few facts we have not noticed...
Source: Official Google Blog: A new approach to China It looks like the cyber war is taking new shape. Google recently published news (see above link) that Chinese hackers attacked...
One of the big name in world Airline industry is JAL (Japan Airline limited), and they are thinking of filing bankruptcy as soon as early next week. News excerpt taken...
Finally, CrazyEngineers' crossed 100,000 posts. I guess we all should now look forward to crossing 200,000 posts in next 4 months. What say you?