Which Branch of Engineering should I select?

The most asked question to the career counselors these days isn't - Should I go for medical or engineering or commerce? It is which branch of engineering should I select? Quite oddly, even though we have huge numbers of students appearing for engineering entrances, most of them are clueless about their favorite subjects or a field that interests them.
Going for CS or IT, just because everyone told you that there is a boom in the Information Technology sector is the most wrong decision you could ever take.

Since I am asked this question by many equally clueless parents, I thought we as CEans should address it here on our community. Can there be really a checklist that students can refer to while choosing an engineering branch? Another question these students and parents ask is - What is the 'scope' of this engineering branch?

Let us check details of every branch and see if we can come up with an answer for everyone.
I appeal CEans from their own branch to share the reasons why they chose their branch and how would you answer these questions. 👍

Say for example -

If you answer a 'yes' to the following questions - 'Computer Science' is the branch for you :

1. Do you like computers (apart from for playing games and random internet browsing)?
2. Do you want to learn something new in computers?
3. Do you ever experiment with your computer and come up with stuff that amazes your friends?
4 Do you consider mathematics and logic making skills one of your strong points?
5. Does puzzle solving interest you?

Or may be 'Mechanical engineering' is a great choice if you answer a yes to -

1. As a school-going kid, did you ask your parents and teachers 'How does this work?'
2. Did you rip-open all of your toys to see the inside-mechanism while playing with them?
3. Do you land up on topics of car/bike designs while chatting up with friends?
4. Was physics always an interesting subject for you?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If you answer yes to these questions better take Electronics
    1. Are you fascinated by Radios and amplifiers?
    2. Do you like Semi conductors and diodes ?( this will be in your academic syllabus)
    3. Do you ever wonder how the signal goes from one end to another?
    4. Do you want to know how your mobile phone works?
    This should do it If yes to all these Questions then take Electronics and Communications
    1. If yes to questions 1 and 2 above asked?
    2. Interested in power transmission ?
    3. Do motors and stuff fascinate you?
    Better go for Electrical and electronics rather than Communication
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    For choosing Mechanical Engineering one more point:

In this branch we can see the processes live going on rather than just studying the theory..
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    If you are interested in coding then surely take Computer Engineering. The area of working in this stream is very broad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you thought Disney teams only specialized in building awesome theme parks, here's how Disney research teams use their knowledge from the theme parks into excellent robotics. Disney Theme Parks...
I want to build that static electricity ball just like the one's which make hair to project outwards just like this. Is it cheaper & easy to build? Please help...
i did my B.TECH(cse) i am planning to do M.TECH. which one is better for better life 1. computer science engineering 2.computer science 3.computer networks & information security 4.information technology...
XBOX Loop (or Infinity or 720,name it whatever you want) has come up with one big change in their hardware & it is Blu-ray drive. Yeah BD ! During X360...
I am a civil engineer interested in Analysis of Civil works