Where to start designing a Operating System?

Whats the starting point of making a new operating system,languages which may be useful in doing so, some useful links,ebooks or book sources to start off?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    There are two parts of this. Are you thinking of making a new kernel? or are you planning on making a new shell for existing linux or you may say unix kernel. You cannot use Windows kernel since it is not open source.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Creating & maintaining Operating system in Linux, has became quite easy due to LFS (Linux From Scratch). Welcome to Linux From Scratch!

Almost a year ago I had tried it, I failed though, resulting in errors of missing dependencies.But now, I am quite sure I can build one.
    If you need anyone in developing one more Linux flavour, then I'm in for project.
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    If your intent is the end in itself--i.e. to have fun creating something you can know you created yourself--then then more power to ya! Go for it!

But if you're motivated to try to create a practical OS that will be useful and desirable, then you might want to examine some of the many, many prior attempts to figure out why they're not household names today. Consider these:

Beos or #-Link-Snipped-# -- BeOS is a fascinating but sad story of a possibly superior OS twarted,
    #-Link-Snipped-# -- a BeOS-like OS in development,
    #-Link-Snipped-# -- an Amiga-like OS (which was kind of BeOS-like),
    #-Link-Snipped-# -- an Amiga-like OS,
    #-Link-Snipped-#,
    #-Link-Snipped-#,
    Visopsys | Visual Operating System,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    searx-osf -- An OS/2-like OS,

Or even some excellent, usable, and in-use OSes like
    #-Link-Snipped-#,
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Some would add #-Link-Snipped-# to the top list, but I still have hopes it will become a usable and popular replacement for Windows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Basically i am not from this discipline and just wanted to ask this simply. if the question makes no sense..i am sorry.. but is there are any difficulties in changing...
Technovanza is the annual Techno-management festival organised by VJTI. The objective of Technovanza is to take Technology to the society.Technovanza is the platform for students to apply the theoretical knowledge...
There is always a question making me to think again and again that whether the pricing done by Branded companies seems justified or not.Consider companies like Apple,Htc,Audi,Mercedes benz,Rolls Royce and...
Hi! I would like to know the exact difference between an error detector and a comparator.
Parents and teachers are always working on making internet a safer experience for all children and now Microsoft has decided to offer a helping hand to them with its ‘Bing...