Where is this smartphone revolution heading towards?

Just read the news that the leaked benchmarking tests of Galaxy S5 have confirmed the monstrous technical specifications of this phone. Every few months, we see new phone that is faster and smarter than all the phones that are existing and this just never stops. I'm wondering where is this revolution heading towards? I'm not saying we do not need faster and better hardware, but curious to know in which direction are we heading.

It's just a matter of time that we'll have phones with a TB of RAM, A petabyte of storage and 5G or 6G network support. But are we just going to make the things faster and faster - and never really figure out what are we doing to do with that speed?

What's your take?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    By 2020, exponential performance increase will reach it's end. From 2020 - 2022 onwards, the performance of your device will be largely depended on your application & how it manages memory. We will need better programmers that are capable of taking advantage of Power. I guess, engineers will again start using assembly for better performance (just saying).Yup, there are Graphene & Carbon nanotubes for rescue, but don't expect it to be cheap enough to become common.

Don't call me paranoid, but if ICs were really created by humans then there will be time when the doubling of transistors & miniaturizing of die will stop. But, if not; then Aliens will again arrive in Area-51 and they will feed free-masons with some another new technology. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Faster speed leads to massive data crunching capabilities leading to automated decision making capabilities by wearable devices. I hope this doesn't stop atleast till we have a stamp size device - or smaller!!!
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    If you observe, we are moving towards attaining sci fi stuff. We are trying to build what we see in movies. We are moving towards achieving our imagination. To get superpowers. And that has no limit. Inventions will end the day man has nothing more to imagine. And we can think today that a terabyte of RAM is way too much. But we will still feel it is less the day it comes in our hands.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think man will create another eaeth and start new experiment called life. I sometimes think we too are a part of experiment undertaken by advanced humans we consider as God.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The benchmark test score fight will continue till the end of universe but I think after a while the companies shall focus on form factor.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

MX-6 Evo is the world's first 3D printed bicycle developed using metal 3D printer - yep, the printer that prints metallic 3D parts which can be assembled to form structures....
by U sing wat type of magnets, we bring magnetic field in ceiling fan??? electro or permanent???? if it s electro,then can we use permanent magnets to create a magnetic...
Hey, this morning I got this crazy dream which I would like to share with you. I saw that I made a time machine and tried to go back in...
hye friends,, when is isro exam...? Did they released notification..? for btech students 2014 passouts...??
Folks, hurry to Shopclues.com. Awesome deals. I just ordered a Monster Beats by Dr.Dre Headphones for Rs220!!!!!! P.S.: Let me know what you grab!!!! Re P.P.S: Shop at your own...