Where is the Storage happening?

Dear All,

A basic doubt which I came across is regarding the mail storage's of common mailboxes.

gmail or yahoomails are giving a greater scope of GB's of storage to each and every individual.
My doubt is where is this storage happening exactly.

Is it a physical server or virtual server???or anyhow???how??
what is the logic or background happening behind these things?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The messages are stored on the servers hosted in the server farms owned by service providers. The server farms usually have thousands of servers (machines) running in sync. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Physical Servers' or 'Virtual Servers'. Usually, the hardware is virtualized before it is used.

Do you need a detailed explanation of how email works?
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Thnks Big K for your reply....
    thousands of servers (machines) running in sync
    does that mean there are 1000*(storage space in GB) available ...that too in a hardware environment( like our common hard disk)???

i need to know in detail reg this storage spaces mainly ....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, that is right. Server farms or data centers host thousands of physical machines. These machines (servers) are specially configured to run 24x7 and run the servers (software). Read more about server farms here: Server Farm

We had interviewed Mr. Matthew Hill, CEO of LiquidWeb - a leading datacenter & hosting company. Do go through the interview in your free time: #-Link-Snipped-#

These links should give you a good start. There's a lot to talk about storage, clouds and how it works. Maybe we can discuss specific questions. What say?
  • arunravindran
    arunravindran
    Awesome piece of Information The_Big_K...Looking forward to learn a lot from CE...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello guys.. i am btech fresher(2010 passout),computer science. i am from small place n there in no placement in our college this time.now i have option of walkins. so i...
Hello guy's, Look at this coding in java. This will run. import java.applet.*; import java.awt.*; import java.awt.event.*; public class Mouseapp extends Applet implements MouseListener,MouseMotionListener { int x,y; String msg=""; public...
Hello friend's, I think most of our CEan's are new in ubuntu like environment. So a good way to resolved this problem is share your tips and tricks with us....
Hello friend's, I am thinking about designing a website in java. I just started to design home page for it. Any one interested in doing this.
Both sessions and cookies are used to store user information but what is the exact difference between sessions and cookies? when to use cookies and when to use sessions? @Big_k...