WhatsApp For Desktop (Web Version) Might Be Soon On The Cards (Finally!)

Millions of users accessing WhatsApp every day have been requesting for a desktop client of the ever-popular app, but till now it seemed as if these demands always fell on deaf ears. Well not anymore. If the recent reports are to be believed, a web version to run WhatsApp on Desktop might be well on its way to inception and the subsequent long-sought launch. The news surfaced when a Dutch technology blog AndroidWorld reported that they have discovered a code in the recent WhatsApp update that has several mentions of the term 'WhatsApp Web' (and it is now being said that's what the browser version might be called).

whatsapp-for-desktop-web-version-launch

It is a known fact that users are craving for a WhatsApp web version, thanks to the various discussions happening across various forums & blogs. In fact, many users are forced to choose the workarounds provided by the likes of AirDroid & Bluestacks to play their favorite app on their Mac or Windows desktop. It was about time that the Facebook acquired company took some concrete steps to tackle its rivals (messenger companies such as WeChat, Viber, Line & Telegram to name a few). Moreover, there's another reason to believe this theory as Telegram app's co-founder Mr. Pavel Durov recently shared in his interview that WhatsApp could be working on a web version "since they tried to hire our web developer".

Coming back to what AndroidWorld.nl has to say, as you can see from the highlighted parts of the screenshot attached below, the code used in WhatsApp update 2.11.471 references to logging in to a web service as well as tracking statuses online. It's a fair hint that the team at WhatsApp might be at least exploring the possibility of venturing into WhatsApp's web functionality. The WhatsAPI Official Team shares on Github that if WhatsApp is preparing for a web client, users might need to login with their WhatsApp account using OAuth, so the web client will send a request to your mobile client, if you accept this it will login in the web client. The website that should accept all this might be: #-Link-Snipped-# (currently a private subdomain accessible only via Google account login).

whatsapp-web-version-for-desktop-users

After being owned by Facebook, there were rumors that if ever there is a WhatsApp desktop client, it will need users to have Facebook Login to access it. That might've been a disturbing news for thousands of users. Thankfully, the recent reports suggest nothing of that sort.

Though these are all just hints and maybe-s, we hope that the rumor fire would fuel some serious actions from the team behind WhatsApp. What are your thoughts on WhatsApp Web? Would you use it and are looking forward to it? Share your opinions with us in comments below.

Source: Exclusief: WhatsApp Web, webversie in code gespot [screenshot] (in Dutch), #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Supercool! I think it's become necessary for them to launch a web version of their app to remain relevant in the markets dominated by the apps like Viber, WeChat and others. I believe they should also consider premium features such as groups with more members. It's too difficult to keep up with the messages in WhatsApp. Plus, I personally do not like to type messages on my tiny phone screen.

I'll be one of the happy user of WhatsApp if they provide a web version. But on the other hand, everyone be prepared for more spam delivered directly to your phone. People are going to hate it after it becomes popular, mark my words!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thousands of users will give a sigh of relief if WhatsApp 'confirms' or sends out an official word about this.
    I for one, am already tired of the chain-messages forwarded just for the sake of it. With WhatsApp Web, one has to be prepared for all kinds of spam messages including photos of deities, quizzes, emoticons/stickers to flood our phones. 👀 That's both good & bad.
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    A Web Version!! Superb! Thanks for the info!! 😀
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Super awesome, #-Link-Snipped-# you made my day !!
    I was waiting for this since long.

Meanwhile, is this a Facebook effect, or are they coming with integration with FB or its just WhatsApp !!
  • Piyush Dangre
    Piyush Dangre
    Web Version = More Spam. Period.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Piyush Dangre
    Web Version = More Spam. Period.
    It's actually been released just a few minutes ago. Yeah - it means more spam! web.whatsapp.com : Access WhatsApp from Chrome
  • Piyush Dangre
    Piyush Dangre
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's actually been released just a few minutes ago. Yeah - it means more spam! web.whatsapp.com : Access WhatsApp from Chrome
    This version looks devastatingly bot friendly to me ! Brace yourselves, Spam is coming.
    Heard of any mechanism being planned to prevent it?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Whether samsung galaxy S4 will receive Android 5.0 Lollipop update ??????????????
Google has teamed up with French space agency Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales (CNES) for its ambitious Project Loon. The tech-giant launched this project to connect the world by providing internet...
After unveiling the HTC Desire 620 and 620G in its home-town last month, the Taiwanese mobile manufacturer has launched the new Desire 620G smartphone in the Indian market. The smartphone,...
In smart wearables Google Glass is the most fascinating wearable, but it might not be as successful as smart watches. A study which is going to be conducted this week...
Mitashi Electronics recently added a new member to their Thunder series- AP300 a.k.a Play Thunderbolt. This smartphone has a sleek metallic body and will come in the usual black color....