whats use of clutch in automobiles

what is the use of clutch in automobiles.recently a bike has been launched without clutch.explain and do comment

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Clutch is used to isolate the engine from the wheels; often while shifting the gears. I think clutch-less motorcycle you are talking about actually implements auto clutch that operates in accordance with engine speed.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Clutch is used to disengage and engage the transaxle and the engine.
    When we press the pedal it disengages and allows engine to run freely without transmitting power. In this position it permits the shifting of gears.
    While engaging it slips for a moment allowing smooth engagement and ess sock to drivetrain and transmission system. In engaged position it transmits power from engine to transmission.

As far as clutchless bike is concerned. Will need to look at it before commenting on it.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The_Big_K
    Clutch is used to isolate the engine from the wheels; often while shifting the gears. I think clutch-less motorcycle you are talking about actually implements auto clutch that operates in accordance with engine speed.
    I have doubts about it Biggie. Implementing auto-gearing with accordance with engine speed...ok thats possible, but how can auto-clutching work that way. I mean you are still manually changing the gears aren't you, but you are not engaging/disengaging the clutch manually. There must be something else.
  • ashishgupta652
    ashishgupta652
    hey thanxx buddy 4 ur answers but still i need more views .,.,as
    cant we change the gear without pressing the clutch,.,/?.,we can do,.,so why there is need of it,.,
    sry i was taking about automatic clutch system,.,so can u explain about it too,.in concern of it,
  • gohm
    gohm
    To my knowledge the only true clutchless systems in a car would be some EVs. Manual, auto, air/electronic, dual & cvt systems all use a clutch, although the driver may not operate it. In a manual system, you can indeed shift without the clutch (I do it sometimes on my bikes). If done correctly in certain situations and on certain transmissions, you can effectively shift without the clutch. It requires practice and good rev matching. Over time it will increase wear on the transmission. Replacing a clutch is a lot easier than rebuilding a transmission so really it is best to use the clutch.
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    Yes, the clutch is there to disengage the engine from the wheel (in manual transmission cars, obviously). If you press the brake paddle, the car has to stop, but the engine doesnt stop running. So you have to disenage the crank shaft from the main engine. That's what clutch does.
    You may manage to change the gear somehow without pressing your clutch pad, but cannot hit the brake without pressing it 😀
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    and clutchless vehicles are usually auto-transmission ones. they use fluid coupling or continuous (conical pulley type) ratio change mechanisms between the engine and the whees. You can search more about auto transmission mechanicsm in the internet
  • gohm
    gohm
    Actually in a manual transmission vehicle you can brake without depressing the clutch. It's referred to as trail braking. It is used to scrub off speed to slow down some without slowing down too much. Usually done at the entrance or during a turn. This way power is still going to the wheels so you do not unsettle the chassis and it assists in faster exit speed. On a bike I only pull lever in the clutch to downshift and once stationary while under braking, otherwise I am braking with the throttle closed. The added resistance of the engine via the wheel and transmission adds extra stopping power in combination with the brakes and is called engine braking. left foot braking is a braking means to slow the car without lifting off the throttle. Most modern braking systems are so powerful they can supersede directly proporsional throttle input. Most automatic transmission systems do not have a manual override (some do) so that using these techniques on an automatic will not prevent the clutch from engaging/disengaging.
  • abrahamselva
    abrahamselva
    the main function of the clutch is to engage and disengage the power from flywheel to the gear box. In the rotary gear system i.e clutchless bikes contains every false neutral in between the gears like honda street, tvs jive.
  • Ramuk
    Ramuk
    I think clutchless bike featuring rotary gear technology and a automatic clutch system
  • abhishek1814
    abhishek1814
    clutch is used to disengage the wheel from engine.. and if you shift the gear without holding clutch then every time 0.03mm of the teeth of gear will be reduced. finally there will be problem in shifting the gear..
  • trulyajays
    trulyajays
    when clutch is pressed the clutch plates gets engaged and the power transmission is reduced to engine, then the gear shifting takes place so that their might not be any problem in gear transmission also
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    In simple it is use to engage & disengage the driving shaft for shifting the gear!
  • dorramide7
    dorramide7
    Capt Spark
    Yes, the clutch is there to disengage the engine from the wheel (in manual transmission cars, obviously). If you press the brake paddle, the car has to stop, but the engine doesnt stop running. So you have to disenage the crank shaft from the main engine. That's what clutch does.
    You may manage to change the gear somehow without pressing your clutch pad, but cannot hit the brake without pressing it 😀
    and clutchless vehicles are usually auto-transmission ones. they use fluid coupling or continuous (conical pulley type) ratio change mechanisms between the engine and the whees. You can search more about auto transmission mechanicsm in the internet
    no they do not. The cars go so fast they had to put in auto clutch, which changes gears automaticaly.You might crash if you changed gears manualy.

Donot advertise_ES>
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Sonia77 : Donot post advertisement links!

if Interested email to admin(at)crazyengineers(dot)com
  • ashishgupta652
    ashishgupta652
    can the auto clutch and gearing system be introduced in cars?,.,it would only contain the accelerator paddle and brakes( like the activa or kinetic's)
    and the car can be started or stopped in any gear..,.,?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone tell me How this VoIP works? How we are able to call through IP address
People at 9to5 have found that iPhone's next version will support Video Chat - one of the most wanted features on iPhone. Take a look: Video Chat Moderators, Chat Room,...
Hi, I am interested in doing MS in Image processing.Would that be a good choice given my degree and work exp. ? I have done a BE in electronics and...
i am saranya , doing 1st year cse, how to present a paper, what are the things to be followed while presenting a paper, please suggest me, how to choose...
hi... i hav selected a topic for doin miniproject and it is skindetection using c....but i need to learn about files in c language...so any suggest me the books for...