What's Thin Computing?

Thin Computing is a technology which delivers the productivity, people need at a lower cost than traditional methods, all without compromising security or manageability.

Thin Computing replaces the PC with a Thin or Zero Client, making it easier for IT to manage user desktops by moving their complexity to the datacenter.

Anybody had any expereinence knowledge about thin computing.

-Crazy

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    crazyboy
    Thin Computing is a technology which delivers the productivity, people need at a lower cost than traditional methods, all without compromising security or manageability.

Thin Computing replaces the PC with a Thin or Zero Client, making it easier for IT to manage user desktops by moving their complexity to the datacenter.

-Crazy
    Either no body had understood what is thin computing or its such a boring topic no body wants to discussmore.

I am puzzled whats the probability ๐Ÿ˜ก

-Crazy
  • safwan
    safwan
    nice iformation brother. if more any one has post it.
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    ^^ I had no clue till I read the above. So not sure how much I could contribute *Goes to research* Shall get back when I know more.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I had once evaluated HP's thin clients for my office. What effectively it does is simple, instead of buying PCs for each of your personnel, you simply buy one huge server and keep on adding cheaper thin clients.

Given enough numbers, you would probably end up saving money on software costs and hardware costs. Not to mention manageability and better security. But all this only if you have an office of more than 80 people, if you have a smaller office, there is no real need for this, except of course if you want a smaller energy print and want to "go green", this part - the energy saving one, thin clients rock.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Cool kidakaka, you got my point.

I started this thread to educate people about one of the great energy saving method which is relatiovely cheaper and do not hamper the productivity.

I had worked with WYSE thin clients for more then 6 months. All we need is one CITRIX metaframe server where we can publish application of our use. Then we can access this application from out thin clients.

Thin client is a box, size is just a bit bigger then our palm (Palm of a youth ๐Ÿ˜ not of a kid), a monitor and keyboard-mouse. It will save the cost of CPU.

Also security is more when we use thin client, as all my data are saved on server, which are kept at relatively safer location.

Crazy
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Nice information there.
    Is this similar to cloud computing basically?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good info guys ..
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Silverscorpion,
    This is infact quite opposite to cloud computing ๐Ÿ˜€

In thin client system - one system is doing the computing for many terminals (or thin clients). In cloud computing - many systems are doing the computing for one application.

I hope you see the difference here.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    You are right my Dear Sir.

In any sense there is no comparision between Cloud computing and Thin computing.

-Crazy
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Ok. I think I get the difference. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    crazyboy
    Either no body had understood what is thin computing or its such a boring topic no body wants to discussmore.

-Crazy
    I am wondering, how can few GREAT CEans here can make assumptions that people here can understand a wide topic from just 4-5 lines explanation and even that too without any link.. Ha ha !

If I am not wrong, you explained only this much about "Thin Computing" right?

[PS: Please add this much information , in following thread. I guess it suits that thread better than a separate special thread for it with very few knowledge being shared. ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    ]

Thanks !
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    shalini_goel14
    I am wondering, how can few GREAT CEans here can make assumptions that people here can understand a wide topic from just 4-5 lines explanation and even that too without any link.. Ha ha !

If I am not wrong, you explained only this much about "Thin Computing" right?

[PS: Please add this much information , in following thread. I guess it suits that thread better than a separate special thread for it with very few knowledge being shared. ๐Ÿ˜€
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    ]
    Very Smart !!!

I was not expecting this from CE- Star's :evil:

If the information I provided was intresting enough for somebody he can search for the more information on the web, its very easily available. Specially when it comes from a leader(trainer) like VGEG CEans it doesn't suits.

Thin computing is a wide topic and should not me merged with any other thread.

-Crazy ๐Ÿ˜
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    crazyboy
    I was not expecting this from CE- Star's :evil:
    And I was not expecting the kind of information shared here from CE-Regular contributor(or a Value adder) :evil:

By the way, this thread for Thin computing was started by YOU not me, so you should provide us details. Coming to link , I can search hell lot of links in google if I have curiosity to know about this topic and have enough time . If you would have given a link, may be it could save my lot of time. That's why I aksed for it.Anyways I was saying everything from everyone's point of view (not for me) ๐Ÿ˜ก

Coming to CE-Star thing, if I would have enough rights to remove it, I could have done a long time before. ๐Ÿ˜€

@Big_K Please remove all kind of tags given/shown in my profile as soon as possible. I cannot see this tag CE-Star any more ๐Ÿ˜ก. I guess it suits Mr CB better.๐Ÿ˜‰ A simple "CEan" would go like a world for me ๐Ÿ˜

Thanks a lot !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Personal flames won't get you anywhere, folks. Maintain the forum protocol.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I remember when I was a kid, one of my brothers elder friends told me that anger eats our mind. That quote is still in my mind.

@ Shalini - Appologies if my post had hurt you in any sense. My post was result of your post where you had shooted a sarcastic point at me
    how can few GREAT CEans here can make assumptions
    . You posted once even I did that same.

I do not know what was the different tone in my post which resultant in such a post from you. I was not expecting it from such a nice friend of me. Again, I am saying I did/do not have any plans to hurt you. You-me are regular member @ CE family. Through CE we contribute to community and our knowledge.

Regarding Tags I do not think CE-Star or CE-regular contributor matters much to us. Does this?

For the post/thread from my side, my motive was to give others knowledge about the thin computing. That day I didn't have much of time so I posted a small description. Second post was to bumping the thread. If you still feel that I had hurt you any sense, you have all rights to ask biggi or mods to take a evasive action..

-Crazy
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hey guys, chill out..
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    COOL ..... ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    Hey guys, chill out..
    [SPAM]
    Well I am chill only Scorpion ๐Ÿ˜, it is Mr CB only -angry man ๐Ÿ˜‰ . I don't know why all my normal way of talking also looks like sarcascism to people ๐Ÿ˜”. Anyways Sorry Mr CB if my way of speaking offended you somewhere, it was you only who said to we all CEans -

" Either no body had understood what is thin computing or its such a boring topic no body wants to discussmore."

But firstly it was you only who didn't explain the topic to us.

Again SORRY .Chill man. Never take me seriously ๐Ÿ˜€

[/SPAM]
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    NO COMMENTS..
    Friend ... Chill ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Whether 'thin client' refers to the system connected with the server which is setup with thin computing?

In wikipedia whenever I type 'thin computing' ,,.. redirected to the another webpage which provides the information regarding to thin client..I don't get much information on Google regarding to this topic...Give further information and weblinks s...It will be useful...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Hope these links will help in getting idea what is thin copmputing.

-Crazy

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, my project is "wireless electronics notice board". The project is built around the AT89C51 micro controller from Atmel. This micro controller provides all the functionality of the display...
what is the reason of negative resistance in UJT . plz explain in some detail
Palisade demonstrates the use of DecisionTools Suite in financial risk quantification for environmental remediation and site cleanup efforts Invitation to free webcast โ€“ Friday 2 April 2009 John Lynch, president...
According to web analytics firm StatCounter, Firefox 3 has ousted Internet Explorer 7 as the most used web browser use in Europe. Good news, but it's not exactly as rosy...
Happy Birth Day Chief Chad, Anuj2488, dinesh.atheist. Have a blast to day Its your's day. :myparty:๐ŸŽ‰:myparty:๐ŸŽ‰:myparty: