What to study to become a good software engineer?

What are the things that needed to be studied/learned to become an software engineer???

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    It is a bizarre question having a lots of answers so it is better you specify the scope of your question.

To be a effective programmer a clear idea of Data structures is a must. Then rules and algorithm of different programming languages are needed
  • VICKY ABISHEK
    VICKY ABISHEK
    i have just completed studying courses in c,c++...and i m also interested to study further in software field...what are the things that are the basics which i should learn???
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Just strengthen your Data structure programming abilities they need a lot of work. Other than that java is another language which is of prime importance now a days try to master all the twists and turns in it
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    I think the only possible answer is that u will have to learn more and more each day, Software is an evolving field, and the niche technology of today keeps on becoming obsolete the next day.
    However, the best u can do is to master the fundamentals , which will remain more or less same,
    The major categories which can be learnt are:
    • Data Structures
    • Computer Organization
    • Databases
    • Computer Networking
    • Web Programming.
    But the most important thing is after learning the fundamentals , u should choose your area of interest and get expertise in it.
    In this way u will be an Excellent Software Engineer.๐Ÿ˜
    Good Luck!!๐Ÿ˜€
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Vicky Abishek
    i have just completed studying courses in c,c++...and i m also interested to study further in software field...what are the things that are the basics which i should learn???
    As an expert software developer you should be aware of different platforms and able to deal with most of domains.

You can learn basics of computer programming/application development/system programming (You already did this by learning c/c++),Web technologies and Data base management.
    Well other fields are also there like securities and networking.

But for time being if your interested only in application development ,you have already complete first step.

The next step after , c and c++ can be
    1. JAVA
    2. c#

Now JAVA is,

1. very much in demand today.
    2. Easy transition from c++ (There are effective books for that).
    3. Many next options available ,one being Android.
    ( off course list is big but i put up 3 ,which are more relevant)

Don't know much about c#,but even its a good competitor to JAVA.

Note : Please go ahead if you are quiet good at c++ else be proficient in that , make few projects and then next options.

Did you find if else syntax above ,i wrote coincidentally .๐Ÿ˜จ
    ALL THE BEST.๐Ÿ‘
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Join computer science engineering in a good engineering college.. And, yeah!! you even need to study there.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ (I feel it is enough for a question like that)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Vicky Abishek
    What are the things that needed to be studied/learned to become an software engineer???
    Self-learning is the key. Invest your time online in learning new technologies and programming languages that are of interest to you. Try doing very simple basic projects of your own. Also develop good aptitude skills - Mathematics (Solve puzzles) and be good at speaking and writing simple English.
    If you do that, you'll always be way ahead of an average fresher. ๐Ÿ‘
  • VICKY ABISHEK
    VICKY ABISHEK
    grsalvi
    As an expert software developer you should be aware of different platforms and able to deal with most of domains.

You can learn basics of computer programming/application development/system programming (You already did this by learning c/c++),Web technologies and Data base management.
    Well other fields are also there like securities and networking.

But for time being if your interested only in application development ,you have already complete first step.

The next step after , c and c++ can be
    1. JAVA
    2. c#

Now JAVA is,

1. very much in demand today.
    2. Easy transition from c++ (There are effective books for that).
    3. Many next options available ,one being Android.
    ( off course list is big but i put up 3 ,which are more relevant)

Don't know much about c#,but even its a good competitor to JAVA.

Note : Please go ahead if you are quiet good at c++ else be proficient in that , make few projects and then next options.

Did you find if else syntax above ,i wrote coincidentally .๐Ÿ˜จ
    ALL THE BEST.๐Ÿ‘
    can u give any link for java tutorial ???
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Vicky Abishek
    Buy a book buddy!
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Vicky Abishek
    This is Oracle's own tutorial link:
    The Javaโ„ข Tutorials

Even IBM has tutorial but i like the Oracles (good for beginners ). I also refer to Head First and Thinking In Java.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi production engineers,usually we see tips for all the core branches but it is difficult to find guidance for some branches like production,chemical,electronics and instrumentation etc.i am here to help...
Indian Government is proposing that the companies with large turnovers to take the corporate social responsibility (CSR) very seriously. The 'Revised Companies Bill 2011', if given a green signal in...
I just got the news that telecom regulatory authority of India - TRAI has banned telephone (calling) facility in tablets sold in India. I searched for more information about this...
I'm told that the production of Micromax Funbook - which is one of the top selling tablets in India has stopped. This news comes from one of the dealers who's...
Those looking for topic wise previous years GATE question papers with solutions, please find these attachments available for download. for thermodynamics and engineering mathematics scroll down.