What Is Web 3.0?

The Internet - as a medium of communication has been evolving at a faster pace than you and I would imagine. I believe we are in the "work in progress" state of transition from Web 2.0 to Web 3.0. You may say I'm a little late in pointing that out; but let me tell you - the latest version of web is not about cloud. It's all about 'mobile & apps'.

The new web is all about personalised Internet and it's the tiny electronic gadget in your pocket that's going to change the game. So, What exactly is Web 3.0? I've been trying to find that answer for quite some time and finally discovered that the Web 3.0 is bigger, better and more exciting than the current generation of web. Also, it's going to stay longer with us than web 2.0.

[​IMG]

Web 1.0 began with simple HTML pages limited to text, links to other HTML pages and images. The pages looked simple and many times 'ugly'; for example the above image is how Yahoo.com looked like back in 1995. The overall participation on the Internet was very limited. Someone with access to web server would code a page and put it for public consumption. As end-users, we could only 'read' the content; neither interact with it, nor modify it to suit our needs. The Web 1.0 stayed for a long time until we began noticing an evolved & richer version of the web - that offered interaction with web pages and user participation. For the first time, people could 'subscribe to RSS feeds' and get the content they wanted right on their desktops without visiting the websites one by one. They could create their own websites and blogs with just few clicks of buttons. They could mark their home, office and favorite mall on an online map. The developers could 'mashup' multiple services to offer a new kind of a service. The web 2.0 allowed people to share photos and videos. Following pic summarises the most important aspects of Web 2.0 -

[​IMG]

Yet, the web was limited to those with Desktop / Laptop computers and a piece of software called 'Web Browser'. That had to change!

Enter powerful mobile operating systems ( a la iOS, Android, Blackberry OS) on capable mobile hardware and the game changed once again. The web browser is no longer needed. Rather, there are 'apps for everything'. You want to send an email? There's a tiny app in your phone. Want to tell your friends which restaurant you're currently in - there's an app for that. Want to book a flight ticket? There's an app for it! Like it or not, the apps are eating lunch from the browser's plates - and that's what Web 3.0 is about!

Arguably, the Web 3.0 has more useful and convenient features - it's real time, it's more personalised, it's always on (you get notified about updates you're subscribed to), it lets you create and share content from any place in the world. The news breaks out on Twitter first and later on the most widely read news papers!

This is the first time we've changed the 'platform' to access the web; from bulky desktops and portable laptops to ultra-portable modern mobile computers that even act as mobile phones sometime. The change is HUGE and it's going to stay with us for longer than Web 2.0 did. The cloud computing technology evolution has enabled us to access our files and data from anywhere in the world and even store it to a central place from any place, totally eliminating the needs to carry laptops / desktops around.

But that's not all about Web 3.0. In fact, the real thing is going to be the mobile commerce. The mobile commerce is being adopted all over the world so rapidly that it's going to change the way businesses operate. You no longer have to swipe your credit card at the counter. Simply touch your NFC mobile at the billing counter and make the payment! You no longer have to worry about carrying cash, because as long as you've enough of it in your bank account - you will be fine without your wallet. Your mobile is going to do everything for you and there will be several apps to stop you from impulsive buying.

Have We Left Anything For Web 4.0?

Frankly speaking, it's too early to talk about Web 4.0. I don't know what it will be about. I don't know whether mobiles and app will be a part of the game, then. Maybe Web 4.0 will begin when engineers develop virtual screens & keyboards that would eliminate the need of carrying mobile phones. Tell me what do you think about Web 3.0 and of course Web 4.0.
[​IMG]

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Innovations in shopping such as shopping from virtual shelves and making shopping more informative are always welcome by the customers. So continuing this trend, a team of developers from RedPepper...
Evette and Aris Allahverdian have come up with an innovative photography tool that can clip on to almost any smartphone, tablet or even your laptop and help you take spherical/panoramic...
Apart from tracking your face, the brains behind Disney Research wants to shave and clone it too. Systems have been created using which the researchers have managed to digitally recreate...
As reported earlier, Kaspersky Lab has detected a new virus named 'Gauss' that can keep track of banking transactions and steal login ID and passwords. To detect the presence of...
Parts of Mac OS X Mountain Lion's configuration files seem to indicate that Apple has decided to do away with optical drive in the unreleased iMac (iMac13, 0) and Mac...