What is the stress-strain curve for liquids?

Hey guys, what would be the shape of a stress strain curve for liquids?

Replies

• Gurjap
    Gurjap
    There wouldn't be any. For one thing, the only need to define "stress" is to underline the important fact that a thicker column will probably support more weight than a thinner column.

See what I did there? I said "column". Let me stress (pun not intended) that the term "stress" is not used for fluids. It is a term for use for solids. For liquids, we use "pressure". I hope you meant "pressure vs volumetric compression".

There are many types of liquids, some incompressible, and some compressible. I'll elaborate: every fluid is compressible, but some are more, others less. While studying compressibility, you also need to factor temperature. Hence, we may conclude that each fluid has a unique "stress strain" curve at different temperatures.
  • The myth buster
    The myth buster
    there isn't any stress-strain curve for liquids.as liquids are incompressible and do not exhibit the properties of elasticity.!!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is a curious phenomenon in tall trees. How does water reach well above 100 meters in Redwood trees? One of the theories is that water can behave like a solid wire or chain. As the top of this wire/chain evaporates from the top leaf, the generated tensile stress pulls up the water column. Capillary suction is not a valid explanation for such huge heights.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is the equation that governs the relationship between the speed of an automobile moving on the road and the speed of its prime mover? now to define my problem...
Name: Ankit Engineering Trade: Civil Location: Delhi Occupation: I am Civil Engineer in a Navratna PSU. Hobbies & Interests: Well it includes a huge list ๐Ÿ˜ but briefly i would...
Hi, I have a problem these days. I have a PC with two internet connection. Now I want to use both internet connection simultaneously. I want to use one connection...
Hello all!! I want to implement a project "Automatic control of dish antenna" The antenna must be able to align itself in the direction where the signal strength is maximum...
Saw an update on their site : https://rac.gov.in/ guys any inputs