CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@N.Gowtham Raj • 05 Mar, 2012
Hey guys, what would be the shape of a stress strain curve for liquids?
@Gurjap • 09 Mar, 2012 • 1 like There wouldn't be any. For one thing, the only need to define "stress" is to underline the important fact that a thicker column will probably support more weight than a thinner column.

See what I did there? I said "column". Let me stress (pun not intended) that the term "stress" is not used for fluids. It is a term for use for solids. For liquids, we use "pressure". I hope you meant "pressure vs volumetric compression".

There are many types of liquids, some incompressible, and some compressible. I'll elaborate: every fluid is compressible, but some are more, others less. While studying compressibility, you also need to factor temperature. Hence, we may conclude that each fluid has a unique "stress strain" curve at different temperatures.
@The myth buster • 25 Jun, 2012 there isn't any stress-strain curve for liquids.as liquids are incompressible and do not exhibit the properties of elasticity.!!
@Ramani Aswath • 26 Jun, 2012 There is a curious phenomenon in tall trees. How does water reach well above 100 meters in Redwood trees? One of the theories is that water can behave like a solid wire or chain. As the top of this wire/chain evaporates from the top leaf, the generated tensile stress pulls up the water column. Capillary suction is not a valid explanation for such huge heights.
https://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=&id=100
https://www.wiziq.com/tutorial/134362-Water-Transport-in-Plants
4k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Oct 8, 2008

Here's another programming question I've asked in interviews to CS/IT Toppers in interviews when they tell me they are interested in Maths & Programming : Write a program to display...
36.7k views

@Muhammad Javed · Mar 1, 2013

I want to execute my undergraduate final year project in Transportation Engineering.Can you please suggest me some emerging topics which demands high degree of research and on which comparatively less...
8.1k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 21, 2013

Toyota Kirloskar Motor has brought to the Indian market the brand new Toyota Fortuner TRD Sportivo Limited Edition version of the popular SUV. Featuring a 3.0 litre four cylinder diesel...
4.1k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jul 5, 2014

The proud owners of Moto G, Moto E and Moto X phones may now upgrade their phone's firmware to latest Android 4.4.4 Kit-Kat. Google's began offering the upgrade to all...
6.7k views

@Manashree Thokal · Jul 16, 2012

The idea of this project is to develop an online chess application. Abstract: Chess is an interesting an challenging game played between two people. While playing the game, the players...
3.6k views