What is the physical significance of momentum?

Hello all again, I am a Mechanical engineer from Mathura and I want to know what is the physical significance of momentum? Any kind of explanation, links, videos or tutorials will be of help. So, please reply. 👍

Replies

• lovejeet
    lovejeet
    physical significance?? hmm... u can easily see that in day to day life. like if a bus or vehicle is overloaded, it is difficult to stop it because of the momentum added because of added weight. or a bullet is able to damage because of its large momentum.
  • mechky
    mechky
    Momentum gives an idea or an estimate of the amount of force required to make an object move or to stop a moving object.
    Momentum equation consists of two quantities - mass and velocity. Greater is the mass, greater is the property of inertia. According to first law, greater is mass greater is force required to make an object move or stop a moving object. This means that greater is the momentum, greater will be the force required to stop. The second quantity - velocity, tells how fast an object is moving. If velocity is high, then high amount of force will be required to stop.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    momentum is a function of the mass and velocity of the body.

momentum is the phenomenon behind the working of flywheels. the flywheel due to its heavy mass does not start rotating once the power stroke ends, but its rotation causes the piston to do the exhaust, suction and compression strokes.

the equations of kinetic energy and potential energy are also based on momentum.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    i m not satisfied with ur answer zaveri...i want to know physical significance of momentum...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    nibhani
    i m not satisfied with ur answer zaveri...i want to know physical significance of momentum...
    momentum is a kind of force which a body develops by virtue of its velocity, as well as its mass.

now for example, you need to hammer a nail, for which you need to apply force. now how will you do it ? just by tapping the head with the hammer lightly ? or by raising the hammer to a considerable distance away from the nail, and bringing it down with full force ?
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    ok
    zaveri
    momentum is a kind of force which a body develops by virtue of its velocity, as well as its mass.

now for example, you need to hammer a nail, for which you need to apply force. now how will you do it ? just by tapping the head with the hammer lightly ? or by raising the hammer to a considerable distance away from the nail, and bringing it down with full force ?
    ok 90% satisfactory answer..
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    ok jus
    nibhani
    ok
    ok 90% satisfactory answer..
    ok just tell me what is impulse?
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Impulse is the force which is applied on a body for very short duration.Like when we hit the ball with a bat.
    In this example the bat hits the ball for very short duration.This is impulse.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    nibhani
    ok jus
    ok just tell me what is impulse?
    Momemtum = Mv (mass*valocity).
    what will happen to you if a truck hit you @ 40Km/h and a tennis ball hit you @ 40Km/h. Here is both have same velocity but difference mass which makes difference in their momentum.

by physics: Impulse=m ΔV (momentum * change of velocity over time).
    Now like #-Link-Snipped-# said, a hammer is hitting on nail. here keep the momentum constant and change the velocity. one from
    i. full speed to 0 in x time
    ii.full speed to some speed in x
    time you will get it.
    Impulse can also defined as = Force applied for time duration.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A physics video project that explains the concept of momentum, including impulse, collision, and conservation of momentum. Examples include a race between a Formula One car and a jet plane, hockey hit, one-timer slap shot, and a Honda TV commercial.

This other video explains what momentum is and discusses a simple problem involving momentum. Check it out -

• zaveri
    zaveri
    vikaskumar11233
    Impulse is the force which is applied on a body for very short duration.Like when we hit the ball with a bat.
    In this example the bat hits the ball for very short duration.This is impulse.
    that is impact.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    ianoop
    Momemtum = Mv (mass*valocity).
    what will happen to you if a truck hit you @ 40Km/h and a tennis ball hit you @ 40Km/h. Here is both have same velocity but difference mass which makes difference in their momentum.

by physics: Impulse=m ΔV (momentum * change of velocity over time).
    Now like #-Link-Snipped-# said, a hammer is hitting on nail. here keep the momentum constant and change the velocity. one from
    i. full speed to 0 in x time
    ii.full speed to some speed in x
    time you will get it.
    Impulse can also defined as = Force applied for time duration.
    then what is the differance between momentum and impulse...is the presence of impulse is necessary where momentum applies...both are different thing and i want to the exact differance...i know the differance a/c to formula but i want to physical significance of both...just i am explaning impact a/c to me impact is form of force which applies when potential energy is changed in to kinetic energy like u can see in impact test in izod and charpy test,,,similarly i want to know what is the physical significance of impulse?/
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    yes that is impact....
    zaveri
    that is impact.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    nibhani
    then what is the differance between momentum and impulse...is the presence of impulse is necessary where momentum applies...both are different thing and i want to the exact differance... /
    Ok, Tell me, What is difference between acceleration and velocity?

Impulse=m ΔV (momentum * change of velocity over time)=F Δt (Force * time duration).

Momentum is like mass a body is carrying while moving.
    Impulse is how much force has been applied for duration of time. Did you tried to do some practical about it.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    a/
    ianoop
    Ok, Tell me, What is difference between acceleration and velocity?

Impulse=m ΔV (momentum * change of velocity over time)=F Δt (Force * time duration).

Momentum is like mass a body is carrying while moving.
    Impulse is how much force has been applied for duration of time. Did you tried to do some practical about it.
    a/c to me acceleration is the change of velcity wit respect to time in the direction of force and velocity is distance travelled by a body in the direction of force....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Consider a weight at the end of a string kept moving at a constant speed. Its velocity is continuously changing because velocity is a vector and so it is changing because the direction is changing continuously. But a change in velocity implies a force.
    What is the force in this case?
    The centrifugal force.
    What happens if the string is cut?
    The weight takes off along the tangent to the circle of motion at the time of cutting at the same speed.
    However, it is now moving in a straight line. There is no acceleration now.
    A satellite remains in orbit because the centrifugal force counterbalances the acceleration due to gravity. If this(the centrifugal force) decreases as the orbital velocity decreases, the satellite will crash to earth.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    nibhani
    a/
    a/c to me acceleration is the change of velcity wit respect to time in the direction of force and velocity is distance travelled by a body in the direction of force....
    similar difference is between momentum and impulse...
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    ianoop
    similar difference is between momentum and impulse...
    i m not satisfied with ur answer...
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    nibhani
    i m not satisfied with ur answer...
    😕
    Acceleration:Velocity --> change in velocity is Acceleration.
    same as follows,
    I hope it will clear your confusion
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Impulse = Change in momentum.
    click on picture above to see in detail.
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    but now i have got the correct answer with the help of ur answer and the video by bioramani....
  • Naruto Uzumaki
    Naruto Uzumaki
    I think of linear momentum like this:

When we apply a net force to a constant mass, It accelerates. The larger the force is, and the longer it applied to the mass, the higher speed the mass can reach. In some sense, the effect of force is "accumulating" in the mass to increase its speed during the time. The question is, what is the final speed of a mass at rest if a defined force is applied on it for a specific duration? It obviously depends on magnitude of mass. So, mv, linear momentum is a measure of the effect of force that accumulates in the body as time goes on.
  • ADITI DHIMAN
    ADITI DHIMAN
    what is the difference between impact and impulse?
  • Sekocan
    Sekocan
    To understand Momentum, one should be familiar with the term Inertia.
    I recommend you to read the wikipedia pages (only the first part may be sufficient) for Momentum, Impulse and Inertia:
    Momentum
    Impulse (Physics)
    Inertia

Impulse is a little hard to understand because it isn't a term we use everyday like velocity or acceleration. For example "Jerk" is another term that is hard to understand. Jerk is the change of acceleration (or the derivative of acceleration).

And Impulse (J) is the Change of (Linear) Momentum (P).
    For a very simple system J = P2 - P1 = m*v2 - m*v1
    For nonlinear systems, this calculation should be done with an integration. Wikipedia page has almost everything about it.

Impact is something different. Impact is a relatively high force applied to a body by another body in a very short amount of time (or it can be seen as "shock").
    When two bodies collide with a small speed, both of the bodies have some deformation (elastic or plastic). And they also create vibrations (watch a slow motion video of a club hitting a golf ball). So, some of the energy is dissipated by these deformations, vibrations as heat and even sound. But if the speed is high (and the time is short), the material doesn't have the time to deform because for all those molecules to move, they need some time. When they don't have enough time, less of the energy is dissipated and the bodies may act more brittle, they act different. They may fracture or break.

Hope it helps.
  • ADITI DHIMAN
    ADITI DHIMAN
    yes it helped me...and cleared my doubts upto an extent...thank u sir
  • Jatin Goyal
    Jatin Goyal
    hey ZaVERI THE thing u r talking about is inertia. .
    momentum signifies the effect of force on a body in specific time interval..
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Jatin Goyal
    hey ZaVERI THE thing u r talking about is inertia. .
    momentum signifies the effect of force on a body in specific time interval..
    Hey JaTIN GoYAL, THE thing u r talking about is impact force...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I gave exam for ECIL GET-2012 for CSE on June 10th 2012 here i am giving exam pattern and some of the questions they asked in the exam. 1)Exam consists...
Hello guys i need some help regarding on how to model a volumetric heat flux in ansys??
Can Any one Suggest me a good Softwares for drawing Process Flow Diagrams and P&I Diagrams. Any good Software will do..
what is a text editor? actually do
compiler does two jobs pre-processor and translator. what does pre processor do