CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Ankita Katdare • 02 Dec, 2011
What is the typical shelf life of a modem? I have a modem that was bought new an year ago.
Is it the case that it's performance deteriorates after a period of time?

Some friends told me that they replace it every 10 months. 😲

PS: I have no knowledge about the topic. So please be detailed in your replies. 😳
@silverscorpion • 02 Dec, 2011 • 1 like Replacing a modem every 10 months?? phew....

I have been using the same modem for the past 2.5 years, and I'm positive I don't experience any degradation in performance whatsoever.

Usually, there is no such life expectancy for electronics. They usually function well as long as the parts inside are good. Unless you short a circuit path in the board or something, the same modem will do just fine until you need more speed which the modem can't cope up with.
@Sahithi Pallavi • 02 Dec, 2011 I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more 😔. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years 😕
@Ankita Katdare • 02 Dec, 2011
Sada
I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more 😔. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years 😕
Yeah. My modem is yet to show any signs of dying. 😛 But I want to know if people really "replace" their modems eventually.

Related Posts

@@magic · Jan 26, 2015

Hi , after engineering i thought to go for CDAC(may be acts pune) but is there placement is good after that economic recession.and any body knows what is highest payed...

@suganya devi · Aug 12, 2012

Hi guys, I wanted to do a paper presentation for an upcoming symposium but don't have any idea on how to do it .So I need some valid suggestion for...

@Kaustubh Katdare · Oct 18, 2013

I'm in the process of setting up the legal documents and the discoveries I make almost on daily basis shock me like anything! As an employer, the hiring company must...

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 2, 2015

I never fully understood the concept behind not sharing ideas for the fear of them getting stolen, when you yourself are going to do nothing about it for lack of...

@Koushal Patel · Dec 19, 2014

Raghuram Rajan, the Governerof RBI forcasted about the recession in IT in the year 2008. At that time, his statement went un-noticed. 2014, August I guess, a random article in...