CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Ankita Katdare • 02 Dec, 2011
What is the typical shelf life of a modem? I have a modem that was bought new an year ago.
Is it the case that it's performance deteriorates after a period of time?

Some friends told me that they replace it every 10 months. 😲

PS: I have no knowledge about the topic. So please be detailed in your replies. 😳
@silverscorpion • 02 Dec, 2011 • 1 like Replacing a modem every 10 months?? phew....

I have been using the same modem for the past 2.5 years, and I'm positive I don't experience any degradation in performance whatsoever.

Usually, there is no such life expectancy for electronics. They usually function well as long as the parts inside are good. Unless you short a circuit path in the board or something, the same modem will do just fine until you need more speed which the modem can't cope up with.
@Sahithi Pallavi • 02 Dec, 2011 I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more 😔. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years 😕
@Ankita Katdare • 02 Dec, 2011
Sada
I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more 😔. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years 😕
Yeah. My modem is yet to show any signs of dying. 😛 But I want to know if people really "replace" their modems eventually.
2k views

Related Posts

@krsgnanarathna · Jun 29, 2007

I need an final year project proposal based on GSM,PSTN or any thing appropriate to telecommunication engineering.
3.4k views

@vipandeep · Mar 21, 2011

There are two poles of equal height 15mts. One cable with length 16mts is hanging between that two poles. The height from center of the cable to earth is 7mts...
3.3k views

@0526 · Nov 9, 2009

You have seen toys or watches or gramophones which run using spring-wound mechanism. (Also you are aware of a "manual" or "manual wind" watch must be wound by hand, using...
5.2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Nov 1, 2015

CrazyEngineers is back with Hunt For India’s Best Academic Project Contest - 2016!​ About The Contest - CrazyEngineers is back with its mission to hunt for the best academic project...
5.6k views

@MADHU PATHAK · Jul 21, 2012

hey, i got CDAC noida for PG in DIVESD. . have any idea abt it and d placement status plz lemme knw. .i need to confirm ma seat before 30th...
12k views