What is the life span of a cable modem?

What is the typical shelf life of a modem? I have a modem that was bought new an year ago.
Is it the case that it's performance deteriorates after a period of time?

Some friends told me that they replace it every 10 months. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

PS: I have no knowledge about the topic. So please be detailed in your replies. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Replacing a modem every 10 months?? phew....

I have been using the same modem for the past 2.5 years, and I'm positive I don't experience any degradation in performance whatsoever.

Usually, there is no such life expectancy for electronics. They usually function well as long as the parts inside are good. Unless you short a circuit path in the board or something, the same modem will do just fine until you need more speed which the modem can't cope up with.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more ๐Ÿ˜”. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sada
    I have been using my modem for the past 2 years. And now it looks like it's time for me to replace it. It is taking some 15 minutes to switch on all its lights & to connect and sometimes even more ๐Ÿ˜”. I have to wait till then. Customer care says that the life time of the modem is just 2 years ๐Ÿ˜•
    Yeah. My modem is yet to show any signs of dying. ๐Ÿ˜› But I want to know if people really "replace" their modems eventually.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

European LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) manufacturer has launched Pipistrel ALPHA Trainer $83000; which is way cheaper than the $100k LSAs used for training pilots. The aircraft is ideal choice for...
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. As a CS 2011 graduate, I am looking for a job right now. But as you know job market is kinda dead...
A lot of engineers in 6th sem & 8th sem must be aware of the companies that will be visiting your campus in coming months. Please share the names of...
Dedicating this thread to share the news about the companies visiting in the colleges near you for "Open Campus" Placement. For the un-aware : Open Campus Placement Drives are open...
I'm wondering whether we've full time bloggers on CrazyEngineers. By full-time bloggers I specifically mean people who blog for a living. If we have any, I'd like to invite you...