What is the difference between pressure and stress?

There pressure and stress both have same unit N/m^2.then what is difference between them.?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Similar thread found in CE. Refer : Diference between pressure and stress?
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    i have got same thing so want to shear ..
    1. pressure represent intensity of external forces acting at a point. but stress represent intensity of internal resisting forces develop at a point.
    2. pressure is always acts normal to the surface. but but stress may also act either normal or parallel to the surface.
    3. magnitude of pressure at a point in all direction remain same. but magnitude of stress at a point in all the direction are unequal.
    4. pressure can be measure by using measuring device.like pressure gauge. but stress can't be measure directly by using any device.
  • Portgazz
    Portgazz
    pressure is scalar dimension, it just has value no orientation, but stress is vector dimension, it has value and orientation...😁
  • the scientist
    the scientist
    pressure is a general term used for force per unit area.....but stress is t erm used in case of pressures in solids.....
    for hydraulic pressure we cant use the term stress...
  • PuneetVerma
    PuneetVerma
    Pressure : Intensity of external forces acting on a body per unit area. For example : Atmospheric Pressure - Its the pressure exerted by air on surface of earth.

Stress is Internal Resistance offered by a body to external forces per unit area. Taking an example of Rubber Material. You apply some force and it deforms. But assume it doesn't deforms; then what happens, material is applying force equivalent to external force. That opposite force in termed as Internal Resistance and its ratio with area is called Stress.
  • G.D
    G.D
    basically in simple words,
    1)pressure 'acts' on body whereas stresses are 'induced' or 'developed'.
    2)pressure is something what we apply or gets applied on body due to external loading like torque, force; to this the internal reaction developed automatically is stress.
    3) various strain gauges are available to measure stresses.
    4) stress is not vector, its tensor; it has direction and orientation(plane in which it acts) as well.
  • lvk aditya
    lvk aditya
    for stress it is N/M2
    for pressure N/MM2
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Could you share your views here?
  • Himanshuwkc
    Himanshuwkc
    In simple terms
    Pain caused by love is stress. It happens from within. On the other hand pressure, my friend, is like the pain caused by a bullet. It is due to external factors.
    Imagine someone thrusting a heavy object on your shoulders. That's pressure.
    Imagine yourself holding a heavy object. That's stress.
    Technically, there are many differences. But it'll help if you understand this.
  • lal
    lal
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Could you share your views here?
    It seems like there is nothing extra I could add to this discussion. I only had an understanding that stress is an internally developed reaction to counter an external force where as pressure is an external force acting per unit area.

Although it has to be understood that stress can remain in a material even when no external force is acting on the body continuously. Probably a good example is when stress remains in metals after heat treatment processes or forging. Those metals have to undergo a stress relieving process in which the material will be heated to critical temperature so that their grain structure realigns to attain a stress free state.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Establishing air superiority in today’s complex global security climate requires the unprecedented capabilities and versatility that only the F-35 Lightning II can offer. Conceived in the mid 1990s, the tri-variant...
Well i guess the title says it all. can anyone suggest a good author ?
From my experience and other reports of surveys, i have found that : Male : generally autocratic and domminating. Female : generally democratic and pleasing to work with. what are...
How or what exactly is followed in each and every filter to remove the ripple in the pulsating DC
Hi, My name is Indrajeet Roy, and I was studying Mechanical Engg. from Bharati Vidyapeeth, Pune. Unfortunately, I had to leave it due to financial difficulties, and am now pursuing...