What is the difference between MEMS and Nanotechnology?

Hi ,

Are MEMS and Nano similar?Is there any difference?

Thanks

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Re: What is the difference between MEMS and Nano?

MEMS is combination of electronic and mechanical system in a single chip,while nanotechnology consist of eveyrthing which of nanometre lenght,even chemical,physical and biological systems,anyhow MEMS are bigger than nano-systems.guys,pls comment and correct
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Re: What is the difference between MEMS and Nano?

sauravgoswami
    MEMS is combination of electronic and mechanical system in a single chip,while nanotechnology consist of eveyrthing which of nanometre lenght,even chemical,physical and biological systems,anyhow MEMS are bigger than nano-systems.guys,pls comment and correct
    Thats about it. A MEMS chip consists of different parts; the microelectronics,the microsensors, microactuators, microstructures, and are fabricated together using microfabrication techniques (like IC's). The benefits of MEMS are limitless!

I believe the basic difference between MEMS and Nanotechnology is the size: MEMS are typically between a micrometer (10[sup]-6[/sup]m) and a millimeter (10[sup]-3[/sup]m), while nanotech is in the nanometer scale (10[sup]-9[/sup]m). Because we go down to such a small scale, we make use of the properties of the materials down at the nanoscale.

Partly taken from here: #-Link-Snipped-#

I recommend taking a look at some IEEE journals regarding this too:
    Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems | IEEE Xplore
  • eccentronix
    eccentronix
    Basically yes... what ash says....
    It's quite amazing though... We can achieve remarkable sensitivities and precision using the MEMs technology when it comes to electromechanical sensor and actuators. For eg., consider the accelerometer...its made up of a spring, a mass and a damper... the natural frequency is given by sqrt(k/m).. that means, when the mass is taken to the 'micro' level, you have an extremely sensitive accelerometer with great resolution.. Its amazing, MEMs...
    As far as Nanotech is concerned, when you're down to the nano scale, everything is in its 'primordial' form. It's all broken down to the level of bio-chemo-physical molecules. There are a few researchers at my university who have done breakthrough research in this field. We recently bought a Nano-Indentation machine as well. Also, its usually the materials engineers with a know-how in biochemistry who usually pursue this research. Also, your maths has to be great.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i am a 3rd year mechanical engg student i have to submit a fabrication project ,please give some ideas for my project
๐Ÿ˜hi...........
can anyone explain in detail the concept i.e. wat happens exactly during usb charging of mp3 players in comps.
I stumbled upon this article in "The Hindu" - The Hindu : Front Page : Salaries for IIM-A graduates up by 20 p.c. What do you say? All those high...
Hi, I'm new here, so - hi everyone! I'v got a offer to read ChemEng at Manchester and just wondered if anyone could tell me what it's like studying it...