What is the difference between hyper-threading multi-threading and super-threading in

#-Link-Snipped-#

As per my knowledge Hyperthreding technlogy is used in P4 CPU's. [ whenever U open multiapplication i.e. more than one prog. if 2 prog runs at the same time this tech uses 2 cpu work for two programs & is supported only by Windows Xp. ]

Multithreading is more than one prog. running by same cpu and assining & allocating prog. by time slicing tech.

Edit (The Big K): Removed Advertisement.

Replies

• miteshmanani
    miteshmanani
    Re: What is the difference between hyper-threading multi-threading and super-threadin

Hi sruti,

Multithreading, also called concurrency, is a programming language feature which allows the programmer to construct multiple independent "threads" of execution. This allows applications to be executing multiple functions simultaneously, and can be a useful programming model in many situations. For instance, you might want an application to be able to perform a complex operation such as loading a file from disk without hanging its user interface. In this case, the file-loading function could be in a separate thread from the user interface functions.

Java language has most well defined libraries that can be used for Threading and Multi Threading.

Hyper-Threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a Hyper-Threading equipped processor to pretend to be two "logical" processors to the host operating system, allowing the operating system to schedule two threads or processes simultaneously. Where execution resources in a non-Hyper-Threading capable processor are not used by the current task, and especially when the processor is stalled, a Hyper-Threading equipped processor may use those execution resources to execute another scheduled task.

Super-threading is a form of multithreading, that appeared in Pentium processors prior to the introduction of hyperthreading.In super-threading, the processor can execute instructions from a different thread each cycle. Thus cycles left unused by one thread can be used by another that is ready to run. Still, a given thread is almost surely not utilizing all the multiple execution units of a modern processor at the same time. More advanced implementations of SMT allow multiple threads to run in the same cycle, using different execution units of a superscalar processor.

With Regards,
    Mitesh Manani
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How do I get a null pointer in my programs? ==>According to the language definition, a constant 0 in a pointer context is converted into a null pointer at compile...
My greeting to all the CEians , Im A new member here and the following are my details Name: Mehul Jain Engineering Trade: Electrical Engineering Location: Bits Pilani Dubai Campus...
CEans! Here is the list of articles currently available on our CE - Downloads - Click on the name to go to downloads section. Finance Origin Of Shares - By...
Hi i am Third year engineer doin electrical and electronics engineering . I want to go for my ms in electrical engineering but can decide which area to specialize in....
CEans, This has been my favorite topic since my civil engineering days. We had made a small research paper on how to prevent settling of houses in faulty/mushy soils. Now...