What is the actual shape of the universe? And what existed before Big Bang?

Even though I may not have sufficient knowledge to understand the space and astronomy, I am intrigued to ask several questions. Actually, What is the true shape of our universe? To be honest whenever I day-dreamed about the stars and universe I always visualised the shape of the universe to be an ellipsoid.! This may be completely false but this is how I visualised it till this second. And the other question which aroused my curiosity is, What Existed before the big bang? "Nothing"? What exactly is that nothing? Higgs boson? Why did it explode suddenly? So does "nothing" still prevail beyond the boundaries of the universe or is there no boundary at all? So if there is "nothing" beyond the boundaries of the universe will there be another Big Bang?

P.S: Just because it's hard to answer these questions, did people resort to the most simple answer that god created everything? So, does God exist? And are all cosmologists and theoretical physicists "atheist" as they must've understood these things properly?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    More said than found in this case pal but some say initially zero energy existed and thus our current universe is flat

and they give a reason for creation as quantum oscillations in that condition
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I don't know much .. from little of what i know....
    Before Bigbang, it was an unit size body with infinite mass and energy.
    So the point at which this explosion took place can be center of the universe ... which infact is big black-hole.
    Also,According to string theory the universe is expanding in 26 dimensions.
    But when star or any self-illuminating celestial body dies the blackhole is obtained, Blackhole having ve>c sucking up the universe.
    So, Is Universe is still expanding? Tough question.

The place where maths failed the human assumptions is whence finding initial point of birth of universe, just before bigbang explosion.

God exists ? I am agnostic but whenever I look around and watch how smoothly nature maintains itself, how the heart functions & the best of all "The Emotions" that's been pre-installed in every living body makes me think about some eternal energy persists which is beyond human thinking.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    As per previous observations , the universe is thought to be expanding similar to inflating ballon. But what happens when ballon inflates too much beyond its capacity?It bursts. In such instances, scientists have come to believe that universe migth instead be flat , like an ever expanding rubber surface.
    String theory is another theory proposed to unify all lawa of physics, where electrons are not really particles - but like they too follow wave nature, ie sub atomic particles are considered as string, the dimensions beyond a number (i think 4 ) cannot be measured and are extremely tiny and curl up. Its is difficult to comprehend. I can't help but mention a very good point of view presented by CEan #-Link-Snipped-# during casual discussions about how planes are visualised.
    A person crawling on a balloon, how much ever he crawls will be in the surface of the ballon he cannot stand up nor he can even sense there is another dimension such as standing up. But a person out of this view - can 'see' the person crawling, he is in third dimension. So its only through maths that we can really explain but practically its impossible to visualise any such dimension.
    Again, I read it somewhere that scientists could replicate some 10^-10(not sure of value) of second after big bang, but they dont know the exact occurence of big bang.
    All stars dont tend to become balckholes, only huge stars with high masses tend to turn into blackholes. And we have balckholes everywhere, its proved.
    If anyone wants to call rules of nature are behaviour of god, you can so.But as I have repeated many times in the forum - attributing things that happen around us to god is just not right
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Talking about universe and its origin, we'll surely end up quoting a lot of Stephen Hawking. Or at least, before contemplating about it further, it is better to cover the latest works by this physicist; It gives you the best discoveries and speculations we have so far about the vast universe.

On the topic of god, I myself am going through a researching phase ๐Ÿ˜ (Reading more into science essentially puts one in this phase!)
    There was an article in an old edition of Knowledge magazine (March 2011) titled 'Does god exist?'.
    One interesting interview in there was with John Polkinghorne, who is a theoretical physicist AND a priest ๐Ÿ˜€
    I don't remember the exact words but one part of his answer was something like this: "The major arguments against the existence of god concerns the negativity we see around the world - in diseases, wars, crimes, and disasters. But I choose to believe in god. And this is because we and our lives here seem to move towards some purpose, some unknown purpose"
    (This is just the gist of what he said, I just took the liberty to pick my own words as i don't remember them anymore ๐Ÿ˜‰)
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Hey #-Link-Snipped-# Just answer this question here

What is the shape of the universe in your prespective and also do tell what is the initial energy of the system before matter existed

If you have been following quantum theory of universe creation this will be real hard to answer
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    sorry,
    I never heard of quantum theory of universe, even if try to read it now - I will take time to understand it.
    As i understand, there are 2 different models of physcis, one which aplpies to sub atomic particles - quantum physcis
    and the other which applies to all other generic stuff - classical physcis,
    I am yet to encounter or read about a coglomation of quantum theory with theory of everything else.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    If dark matter accounts to about 70% of the energy in the universe and all the visible part of the universe accounts lesser than the energy of the invisible region thus the term was given a name Dark energy matter

However according to this quantum oscillation theory there is no 2 D in universe universe at all this is impossible if there was a big bang which tends to throw the objects in all dimension and create an irregular universe that confuses a lot searching for a link have to find it for proper explanation of this
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Jefferey,

could you provide me with the source for the information. The perception sounds interesting
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-#

The entire thread here was dedicated to this discussion in EDAboard do Go through it and also find the link to professors work on quantum theory of universe creation and its origin
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    thanks for the link,
    as far as answering about my point of view, I think universe is expanding like a sphere , similar to blowing a ballon. It is not 2 D
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    That counters the statement made in the theory listen to it and then you will have lots to say 1 hour is worth spending for it
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Thanks for the link Jefferey, it is very insightful. But it would have helped the purpose, if the Prof would have given few hints how 'nothing' resulted everything.
    Also, when he refered to plane - was it space/time plane?? not sure
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yup that only striked me to more info is available in post by IanP I guess towards the end of the discussion there He suggested about 7 videos completely explaining the entire topic but that was too scientific for me to take head or tail out of it ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜›
  • vinod1993
    vinod1993
    Troll_So_Hard
    God exists ? I am agnostic.
    It'll be better if we remain Ignostic but not an atheist. (Ignorant+gnostic). We may remain ignorant(Ignorance is bliss ๐Ÿ˜€ ) about God unless someone explains the term "GOD" which is universally acceptable .! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    If we go on to answer that pestering question of 'What existed before the big bang?', the recent findings are here to put us all in awe of the true nature of our nature - They say everything came from nothing.
    How is it possible, you ask? Well, I would like to point the curious minds here to the documentary "Everything and Nothing" by BBC.
    Here is a very small preview of the same -

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends i want to give paper presentation on new innvoative topics of todays eee world(renewable or other topics) am good at presenting...so please suggest me or give me the...
I have done Mechanical Engineering working as design engineer(Modelling and Detailing) in service company.Now i planned to move towards SAP MM.Because the job what i am doing now is the...
hi members, can someone help me with my project work, with yhe topic; watertank maximum level alarm. please help me with the design and explaination on how to go about...
I just opened my gmail account twice. account opened with too small size contents ..that i could not even read contents...i needed to zoom...screen shot is uploaded...third time is was...
So, Samsung has began the pre-booking of Galaxy Note II in India but has given no information on the final pricing of the phone or the release date. As per...