What is smart about Smart phones?

The whole world is crazy about smart phones specially the young minds are so occupied in upgrading from one mobile to another. They are finding n number of combinations to get their mobiles Smarter

What actually is a smart phone?

Why is it so special?

What makes it smarter than ordinary phone?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Smart phone is basically the one which can help its user think and also help him in doing his daily activities in smarter ways.

If you want to see a basic example :
    You can store events like birthdays in normal phones and set alarms for same.
    In a smart phone, if it is synced on to social networking websites, it will try and fetch out their birthdays, and automatically remind you to wish them with various other alternative.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Smart phones have better sync and comparatively better ways to automate most our day to day activities

Can I then think this is a form of a PDA that allows us to call and send text messages?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Along with that, Smartphones have the ability to control internet over the tips. It can analyze your needs and give you stuff whenever needed.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The 'smart' in the smartphone is basically a marketing term invented by the phone makers to make the phone owner proud of their possessions. If you looked at the way phones have evolved in the last decade, you'll realize that the phones have actually become smarter. In fact, the phones have been replaced by pocket-computers that 'also let you make and receive calls'.

All the smartness of these phones can be attributed to the platform (hardware + software) these devices carry. A single device that was earlier called phone now stores your music, videos and also lets you edit / create your official documents on the go. It also lets you browse the Internet and check your email. It can also be your gaming and entertainment device apart from receiving phone calls.

That's why these phones are called 'smartphones'.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Ohh yea, There is one great example. forgot to mention. We were once working on an app for android platform. It would keep track of your activities on your smart phones through event logs and find out similarities. then it would maintain a record of all that, and then ocassionally remind you to do similar things at appropriate time.

Like if it senses that everyday around 3pm you call a particular person, then on any particular day, you didn't call him/her, then it would popup a notification reminding you to call him. But that app failed because not all devices had a user approachable event log. It worked perfect once you rooted the phone. this was an excellent application of smart phone. It was one hell of fun to develop it. 😀
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I agree on the hardware When on earth did we think our phones will be powered by a 2 GHz processor and that with multiple core

Is this the prime reason why these phones are able to handle all the twisted apps and productivity tools with ease

We find apps that are really silly some are really worthless Is that also cos of the smartness which these phones incorporate
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    To point out the correct term, smartphones are simply status defining ornaments.People prefer smartphones to get a social recognition and it gives the option of using as a small computer with nearly all its features.
    It makes smartphones smarter and it differentiates normal people and people using smartphones.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    CSK AUTO
    To point out the correct term, smartphones are simply status defining ornaments.People prefer smartphones to get a social recognition and it gives the option of using as a small computer with nearly all its features.
    It makes smartphones smarter and it differentiates normal people and people using smartphones.

Smartphones are not judged or named after the users using them. They have feature, software/apps, Hardware and overall integration to actually help the user lead a smart life. Not an ornament but it is a part of man's clothes now. It actually helps you not to feel like dumb when you don't know about something.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    For me these smart phones end up saving more money if used judiciously. They can carry out many functions for which earlier we needed separate gadgets. I would like to give an example. I was in need of a guitar tuner. It would have cost me at least Rs 500. Instead, I downloaded a free app for the purpose and saved myself the hassle of an extra gadget, and not to forget the saving of Rs 500.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

crash test is one of the modern day analysis procedure used to find whether the the vehicle is safer for driving or not and find the tolerance of vehicle towards...
What exactly is the loading effect of capacitor? I found this as one of the main applications of the capacitor in electronic circuits. The book pointed that the capacitor in...
These devices provide a very high degree of isolation between the primary windigns and the secondary windings of the core. They are really robust and offer very high electrical/ galvanic...
For those who missed the earlier parts, there are the links to them. Prologue Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Greetings Readers, as mentioned earlier this post I...
As the topic denotes its all about transmission system.A fluid coupling or a torque converter is usually used in place of clutch in a vehicle especially for automatic power transmission...