What is mechanism behind moving toys

suggest me the mechanism that is responsible for moving of toys when it is keyed..... if possible suggest sites so that i can get real picture....

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The Newton's law "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" holds good

When you coil the spring there is a lot of tension on it the moment you release it the force already exerted is reacted upon and the toy moves forward
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    When the toy is keyed, the energy is stored inside the spring (theoretically (1/2)kx^2). This energy is released by rotating the tires and hence moving the toy.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    the key is attached to a torsional spring, which is disturbed on keying, when the key is released, it starts unwinding, and this is what rotates the axle shaft of a toy car.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not sure if there's a special name to the energy stored in a compressed spring; but I'd call it potential energy which gets converted into Kinetic Energy through the movement of the wheels. But is that the real question being discussed here?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    The_Big_K
    I'm not sure if there's a special name to the energy stored in a compressed spring; but I'd call it potential energy which gets converted into Kinetic Energy through the movement of the wheels. But is that the real question being discussed here?
    what you have said is right.

springs and flywheels come under a class of machine elements called ENERGY STORAGE DEVICES.

when a spring is disturbed , or loaded in anyway, work has to be done to do this. the amount of work done to this is what is stored as energy in the spring, and this energy is released, whenever the load is removed from the spring.
  • rajshekhar k h
    rajshekhar k h
    actually i am doing project on this...........
    please suggest me how exactly the link has been done to convert energy stored in coil to kinetic energy
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    the key shaft is placed inside the coil spring such that their axes coincide, and that the outer surface of the shaft tightly hugs the internal surfaces of the spring.

the ends of the spring, are rigidly fixed.

on one end of the key shaft, is attached the key, and the other end is present the wheel.

the key is to provide leverage while twisting(keying).

when you have twisted the key in any one direction, say clockwise and release it, the spring unwinds and rotates the key shaft in the opposite direction (ccw).

but for this it is important that the ends of the spring are tightly clamped.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey man this is not at all an issue But I want it to be clarified I received an alert just now But as I found the same post in...
Google disrupted the free email service markets when it launched Gmail. I remember how crazy people were to get the Gmail invite and try out this simplistic email service that...
When we conceptualized the idea of 'Small Talk' on CE, we wanted to interview engineers who've been doing amazing work from behind the scenes. These magicians would work at the...
I want some of the project materials for residential house. Do any have project based on it?
Indian company NotionInk couldn't impress the gadget freaks with the first Adam tablet. There were several flaws with the device and even the delivery promises made by the company. The...